Motorola Airs Xoom Commercial (Spoof of 1984 Commercial)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MarximusMG, Feb 6, 2011.

1. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Did anyone just see this Motorola Xoom commercial during the Super Bowl? I chuckled at the obvious spoof on the 1984 commercial.

2. Hawke macrumors regular

3. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

4. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Yeah... it was FAF the way everyone in white could only do one thing at a time... and the Xoom guy was TRUE multitasking... then this one girl takes off her headphones and sees what the Xoom is doing, zipping al over the place and doing different stuff.. it's as if she 'saw the light'. Great ad!

:D

5. asdf542 macrumors 6502

I think Motorola's advertising agency consists of the chimps that were in the careerbuilder advertisement.

No one knew what the hell it was for except for myself only because I knew what it was beforehand. Everyone thought that it was a commercial for the iPad.

6. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

They should've just thrown it in front of a white background like Apple

7. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Xoom full ad ( more than 15secs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhIzY8M6hLA

8. asdf542 macrumors 6502

What about it? It's the same one they played during the SuperBowl. It's the same one I was talking about.

9. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

I just saw the add and they are takeing there best shot at Apple and it socalled 1984 style of doing things with there socalled closed system

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Oh that was a hilarious piece. We know it's a spoof on Apple's 1984 which was also misguided, but really Moto? This has so much entertaining parts.

- Dude was using a 10" tablet on one hand walking up on the street? I mean with a 7" tablet, ok, but you really want to use a 10" in the middle of the street?
    - It's been a long time since Apple ditched its white color scheme - iPhone and even iPad and iPods are mostly black seen from front - yet they are using white to depict Apple's dominance
    - You're telling me that a guy's using an Android Tablet as a content creation device to impress a GIRL? :eek:
    - Tablet to create a better (Google) world, nice

All these are even more hilarious because Motorola is arguably the most draconian of all Android makers with their locked-down bootloader. Here we have a company that'll ditch their consumers from their upgrade promise and lock down their device even though they are using an open OS, yet they are going "1984" on another company. This is a big pile of irony rolled into one.

11. HelveticaNeue, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Attached Files:

• 1984.jpg
      1984.jpg
      File size:
      211.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I work with those monkeys! And your absolutely right, Apple's iPad got more out of that than Motorola. Xoom ad fail.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

My theory is that they know most regular consumers won't bother with this at $799 so they are going hard after the tech market.

It's a subtle hint: if you're an engineering student, you can attract one of pretty girls in the business&arts programs by showing them your contrarian side with a non-Apple tablet and give them a crudely made animated e-card. I'd say it's not a bad tactic. ;)

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I thought they looked like the sperm in Woody Allen's movie "Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex"

Attached Files:

15. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'd say you're probably not too far off.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Got to love how Apple Fanboys come screaming and insulting anything that is not apple. Are some of you that insecure that if someone makes fun of Apple that you have to insult them. I guess you hated the Apple 1984 ad as well since in this case Apple has become more like the IBM of 1984.
    In tablet and portable music player Apple is the standard and many people are mindless drones who only do what Apple says. Looks like Apple has some of you all well trained and has removed your ability to think for yourself.

As for the White I still remember a lot of Apple boxes are White and the apple bags from the Apple store are White.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I have to say, the Xoom does look like a really nice device (I mean the specs/OS/feature combination, not the physical device itself). I doubt if I'll get one - as I'd need to buy all my apps again, but it's great that Apple has competition to keep pushing them on.

18. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

If anything you sound the most offended out of everyone in this thread. Even the majority of people on Engadget who liked the Xoom claimed that the ad was garbage. Take off your Motorola covered glasses and realize that it was a terrible ad, try seeing it as someone who has no idea what the Xoom is to get the true effect.

I have nothing bad to say about the Xoom, but that ad was truly a piece of trash.

19. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Not at all. It's just the hypocrisy and fantasy land-like market intelligence shown by some anti-Apple people that irk me, you know, the same people who put the JooJoo, NotionInk Adam, Galaxy Tab, and now Motorola Xoom on the pedestal of "iPad Killer."

If you make fun of the leading company and fail to follow up on your brazenness, you'll be made fun of. It's fine that you want to trash talk your competitor, but you have to follow up with a good play (go Steelers!)

As opposed to people who thought NotionInk Adam was the greatest and now the Xoom is going to "kill" the iPads? :p

I thought it was really entertaining, all for wrong reasons though.

20. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Personally, I would love for someone to make fun of Apple, so long as they do it well. And I can pick apart the Apple 1984 commercial as well, though not on the same scale as Motorola's. Apple's 1984 had a lot of strengths: sound, editing, pacing, and design, but the goofy expressions on the workers faces and the olympian woman seemed ridiculous in my opinion. Nevertheless, a lot of people believe it to be a landmark in the commercial industry. This motorola commercial will be utterly forgotten in a week ... there is no lasting visual impact or strength behind it's message. I had hoped for better. Seemed to me like Motorola just hired some Apple-hating internet troll and gave him a bag of money to film one of his broken-record "Apple-sheeple can't think for themselves" comments for television.

21. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Sounds like you have a lot of experience of walking out the Apple store with a white bag that has a white box in it.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well I will say the bags Apple uses for in their store are fairly reuseable compared to most places that rip in a heart beat. I been using an Apple bag for years now to store my jumper cables and it is not those cheap jumper cables most people use but some fairly heavy duty ones and the bag holds up great.

23. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I think MOTO should have just not air this commercial and saved $3 million to shave off that awful price...

24. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

LOL. That's what I was thinking as I watched it: it will probably sell as many iPads as, er, whatever it was suPposed to be for.

I liked the ad, but way too subtle considering how much that thing looks like an iPad.