Motorola CEO says "screw" the iPodNano

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
wow ed, way to make yourself sound stupid..

'who wants 1000 songs in their pocket'? well..obviously 22m iPod users do..

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Meh.

I want more than 1,000 songs in my pocket...that is why I use a 20 GB iPod and I won't be buying a nano.

My question to him would be, "Who wants an ugly-ass phone that can only hold 100 songs and has a crappy UI?"

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Well I think Apple should say "Screw Moto" for making such a crappy looking phone (among other things.... *cough* G4 *cough*).

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
And is so large that it needs it's own congressman.

slu said:
Meh.

I want more than 1,000 songs in my pocket...that is why I use a 20 GB iPod and I won't be buying a nano.

My question to him would be, "Who wants an ugly-ass phone that can only hold 100 songs and has a crappy UI?"

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
What a freakin' idiot!

He's isolating himself and his company from a huge market of ipod fans (well at least those that read the commments... ). And this is after they help create an itunes phone ??? How silly !!!!

He comes off as petty and jealous.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Jobs insulted Moto (with tact) by saying it was a learning experience and everything else we read. This is his way of firing back at Apple. Not as gracefully, and not with as much weight. He's upset and venting.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
lol "hmm I some how managed to convince apple to integrate iTunes into my horrible phone, and yet they still outdid us by releasing the iPod nano the same day....crud"

Let's face it, the iTunes phone is a tank and the nano stole all it's thunder.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I Don't know but I do believe the CEO of Motorola did not know about the iPod nano untill it got realised at the expo, which he thought was going to be a selling point for the companies phone. What a surprise, I guess guess he knew though as their was a slogan for the event of '1,000 Songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again".

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
xtbfx said:
Well I think Apple should say "Screw Moto" for making such a crappy looking phone (among other things.... *cough* G4 *cough*).
Hey, I like the G4s...it stinks that we are still stuck with them because they aren't up to snuff now, but when I got my 867mhz G4 PB over 2 years ago it was great, and still is. Although I have to agree with you iGary, can't wait for the Intel switch. Ed seems to be a little less professional than I'd like to see.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Zander really ought to be thanking Steve Jobs!

Remember, we were waiting and waiting and waiting for that phone! It wouldn't have taken so long unless it was going to be stunning, right?

And all Moto could come up with is an adaptation of an existing phone with one stinking button!

Imagine if Jobs didn't introduce the nano on the same day -- the ROKR (which I pronounce like The Today Show's weatherman, Al Roker) would have had the total focus of the tech world for several days. Motorola would have been scorned, humiliated, insulted, cursed and ridiculed by dozens of tech sites and publications. It would have been The Emperor With No Clothes story of the decade (waiting for some sweet relief when that turd Longhorn/Vista takes the slings and arrows).

Instead the tech reporters glommed onto the iPod nano story and spared Motorola the full fury of their disappointment for an F- effort. An F for the crappy effort and the minus for being so late; they should have been able to put a POS like the ROKR out about a year ago!

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Can we all agree that the ROKR has been an outrageous flop? I cant even believe Apple let themselves be associated with such a substandard product.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
As I said on an other thread.

I am happy I bought a nano to go with my iPod, and I am sad that I have 2 motorola phones, thinking I supported such a CEO.

Hey Motorola, THOUSANDS of us want a THOUSAND songs in our pocket, and use a carrier BESIDES CINGULAR.

Cingular can't get anything correct in their billing department for ANYONE in my family, and with an accounting system like that, I don't want to give them more money for "gimmick" phone products.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
I haven't played with the ROKR yet... but what's so bad about it? Yeah, it would be cool if it was a flip phone, but people still use candy-bar ones. I have a Moto e815 and I love it, it has an mp3 player on it, but it's hard to get to the songs basically. If this is just a traditonal Moto phone, but with iTunes as an additional feature, (plus the ability to transfer songs via. USB directly from iTunes, I have to buy them from Verizon or email them to myself via a little hack...)

I just don't see why everyone says it was a huge flop. Did they spend a lot on R+D? They will probably sell just as many iTunes phones as Airport Expresses or iSights or something. I don't know. :confused:

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
To me its a flop because of these reasons:

1) based on a phone that has been out for a while
2) technically, it offers nothing that hasnt been available for YEARS in mobile phones.

so the first two points go completely against what Apple is all about...

3) Apples name has been plastered all over it in terms of association. Its known as the iTunes phone more often than not, and not the ROKR...
4) Said phone is having tons of bad press, re its user interface, ugliness, 100 song limit, potential $1.99 track downloads etc. I cant recall one good word being said about it. Thats fine if it was just a Moto phone, but as I said before - Apples name and brand are all over this product in the press. It cant help.
5) The Nano completely blew it out of the water. Stole all of its thunder, and impact, as well as making it out to be even more useless than it already is.

100 songs? I mean, wow.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I hope he then called up Jobs and said "I can't wait until we don't need you anymore." :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Wow, I might expect this from Microsoft (Steve Ballmer) or 15 year old, but CEO of Motorola....:rolleyes:

Way to make your company sound professional :rolleyes:

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
DeSnousa said:
I Don't know but I do believe the CEO of Motorola did not know about the iPod nano untill it got realised at the expo, which he thought was going to be a selling point for the companies phone. What a surprise, I guess guess he knew though as their was a slogan for the event of '1,000 Songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again".
If he thought Jobs was going to organize a huge media event at Apple's expense, in order to showcase somebody else's product, then he's a bigger fool than he seems.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Screw the nano. What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs? People are going to want devices that do more than just play music, something that can be seen in many other countries with more advanced mobile phone networks and savvy users
He could've been more convincing if he said that back in 2001 when the iPod was first introduced.

Today, with most iPods holding at least 1000 songs, and the product overwhelming the marketplace, he just sounds like he's had his head in the sand (or elsewhere, but let's not go there) for the past four years.