Motorola G5 vs IBM

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Chip Geek provides some notes from an afternoon session at the Microprocessor Forum. In it, they discuss Motorola's future role with respect to the G5:
Apparently, Motorola may cede the Apple market to IBM and make the G5 an embedded chip. Although the G5 should sport a 10-stage pipeline, contain copper interconnects and SOI, operate at 1.6GHz, and contain an on-chip memory controller, the chip will probably not be competitive with other offerings.
The accuracy of this information is unclear, but confirms what many have suspected.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I thought big blue was the enemy?

Mabye Apple will be able to get these chips for the same price or less than it pays for G4's. That way, they can put them in their consumer lines and still make them faster. So what if they are not as fast as the competition. They havent been the speed king for years, and it hasnt hurt them much. If the G5 wont be as fast as the fastest pentium when it comes out, it will still be competitive with the lower priced consumer computers sold. And it will be better than 800mhz G4's on 100mhz buses that they have now.

Now, if only it were possible that Apple would actually introduce a new chip in its consumer line at the same price it sold the previous chip. Oh wait, they have never done that, well, their goes my theory.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: I thought big blue was the enemy?

Originally posted by reyesmac
Mabye Apple will be able to get these chips for the same price or less than it pays for G4's. That way, they can put them in their consumer lines and still make them faster. So what if they are not as fast as the competition. They havent been the speed king for years, and it hasnt hurt them much. If the G5 wont be as fast as the fastest pentium when it comes out, it will still be competitive with the lower priced consumer computers sold. And it will be better than 800mhz G4's on 100mhz buses that they have now.

Now, if only it were possible that Apple would actually introduce a new chip in its consumer line at the same price it sold the previous chip. Oh wait, they have never done that, well, their goes my theory.
The only problem would be with Motorola. If the G5 is developed for imbedded applications as the original article mentions then it would take influence from Apple to get minor changes to it to make it applicalble for a personal computer.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
My theory, by Ann Elk (a Monty Python reference:)

Moto G5 used in the Powerbook and iMac range, while the 970 is used in the PowerMac series.

This is completely uneducated without any real info. My thought is that the Moto processor might be lighter on power consumption than the IBM. Then perhaps the iBook could inherit the G4???? Just a thought.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Scottgfx
My theory, by Ann Elk (a Monty Python reference:)

Moto G5 used in the Powerbook and iMac range, while the 970 is used in the PowerMac series.

This is completely uneducated without any real info. My thought is that the Moto processor might be lighter on power consumption than the IBM. Then perhaps the iBook could inherit the G4???? Just a thought.
Nice thought but I think the G5 would be too costly for the consumer lines.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by j763
who would buy that when the 970 is just around the corner??? :confused:
Nobody who knows about the 970. This chip is targeted to regular consumers who don't keep up with moves taken by the apple business. Everyone else will wait.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
where is the solid proof that the 970 will come to the surface?

g4 still has life in it for now

anybody have links?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jefhatfield
where is the solid proof that the 970 will come to the surface?

g4 still has life in it for now

anybody have links?
That's been my point all along in all of these threads about the PPC970. I don't want to be the party pooper but as I see it someone has to face facts and stay grounded.

Everyone needs to face the truth here there is absolutely no unrefutable proof that Apple will even go into production with this chip.