Motorola MPC7457

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The German site Golem.de is reporting about a new Motorola processor, the 0.13 micron MPC7457, expected to arrive next year. Speeds will range from 867 MHz up to 1.833 GHz, and will be competing with the IBM PowerPC 970 in the upper range. A second processor, the MPC7457-RM is expected in 2004, featuring an integrated DDR SDRAM controller and expected speeds above 2 GHz.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
great...so moto won't actually support true DDR until 2004. By then PC's will have LudicrousSpeedRAM.

Moto...can't wait until they tank. They're next big annoucement is likely to be something like "Motorola announces reel to reel storage solution"

:rolleyes:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
We are getting a new moto G4+ of sorts in jan, so I suppose this is it. It wont compete with the 970 as the G4 will not be in the towers any longer.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Even with the little info thats available on this new CPU, I'm wondering how the timing will be handled with the introduction of the IBM Power4 with the Macs. Will the G4 stay with the i-Machines and the Power4 be used for the PowerMacs?

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
great...

Wonderful. Assuming this isn't embedded, it means there is competition for the PPC market. No idea what this will do for Apple though. I'd be surprised as hell to see Apple using IBM AND Moto chips in 2003/2004 and later. They're doing it now with the G3/G4 but barely.

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
Hmm...

Wonder if this will be too little, too late for Motorola :\

macrules929

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
So it's starting to look like we won't be getting anything with descent speed until the END of next year!! I want a fast computer now!! :mad:

Ah well, I think we're all getting used to to... :eek:

markomarko

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta
Moto in towers, 970 in servers?

I hate to mention it, but isn't it a possibility that the 970 will be an xserve-only processor and that the powermacs will be stuck with G4?

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Any idea when the MPC7457 will be coming out? If they get it out before IBM does...moto may have a chance...but i wouldn't hold my breath.

gaomay

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Scotland, UK
PPC 7457 and DDR SDRAM

Doesn't the site say that the 7457-RM will feature an integrated DDR controller? Maybe the 7457 will have a non-intergrated controller, maybe on the motherboard? Does this make any sense?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
This site is reporting based on the roadmap already discussed in another thread...

In einer aktuellen Roadmap listet Motorola einen Nachfolger für seine aktuellen 74xx-Desktop-Prozessoren.
In a current roadmap Motorola lists a successor for its current 74xx desktop processors.

The roadmap has already been discussed considerably in another thread on MacRumors. Subsequent stories have placed considerable doubt on whether these processors would see the light of day.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: great...

Originally posted by Bradcoe
Wonderful. Assuming this isn't embedded, it means there is competition for the PPC market. No idea what this will do for Apple though. I'd be surprised as hell to see Apple using IBM AND Moto chips in 2003/2004 and later. They're doing it now with the G3/G4 but barely.
Right on. If this is indeed true, then we need to be excited about this! When's the last time you can remember that IBM and Motorola were actually competing for a better PPC processor? This is such a good thing. Now all it requires is a little bit of patience before we see the outcome. (1 year ain't that bad guys... I've already waited 3, what's 1 more? :) )

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I am sure that the 7457 will be released in January/Febuary. I am sure that the current motherboard can just accept the chip so that they can just be put in + get full power of DDRAM.

I think that another 600/700 Mhz in one year is not too bad! Do you? 1.25Ghz --> to a possible 1.8Ghz. I really think that this will give a decent performance increase.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
i shudder

i shudder at the thought of a 970 in xserve and motorola's next chip in the rest. i dont think the price of the 970 will be much. especially with no L3 vs. the G4's with up to 3mb of L3. IBM should get high yields of the 970 too with their new chip fab and all (right near my home town, oh id love to co-op there!!) i think above all, power consumption for each processor will be a large determinant to what apple uses and where. They like silent and small enclosures. low voltage is good for this, and so is low wattage in laptops.

biscuit

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
London, UK
I can see a situation where the 970 is only used in servers with huge HDs and massive amounts of RAM, i.e. taking use of the 64-bitness. This would leave this new G4 for the towers.

From what I read, 64-bitness only helps with memory sizes. So a 1.8+ GHz G4 would be along the same lines as the 970 but possibly slightly bandwidth starved, as they are now. Hopefully this new thing will use DDR in the first implementation...

I see no reason not to stick with Moto IF they can deliver a faster G4 (or maybe even G5). We might even see better heat/power usage from this thing.

biscuit

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
fgdfh motorola!

How long have we been waiting for the 7460 Apollos? It must have been over a year ago when it looked like they were just on the horizon... and now we're still baby-stepping to 7457s. All this IBM GPUL talk is proof that if one supplier sits on their butts long enough, someone else will come along and leapfrog them. I just hope something significant starts happening soon - things have just gotten silly. Sheesh.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by macrules929
So it's starting to look like we won't be getting anything with descent speed until the END of next year!! I want a fast computer now!! :mad:
check out the applestore -- they have fast machines for sale now.

what the heck are you doing that the powermacs can't handle?

i regularly record 8 simultaneous tracks of full-bandwidth audio on my 3 year old dual 500. it flies.

what are YOU doing that's so intensive?

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
its not just 64bit though...

It's not just the fact that the 970 is 64 bit. It's a tremendously wonderful processor. i dont know all its specs off the top of my head, but its not JUST a 64bit processor. Its a GREAT modern processor made by a really good company and it also happens to be 64bit because that great company doesn't want next generation technology in a chip thats only 32 bit.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Moto in towers, 970 in servers?

Originally posted by markomarko
I hate to mention it, but isn't it a possibility that the 970 will be an xserve-only processor and that the powermacs will be stuck with G4?
The opposite is about 50 times more likely. The XServe is a 1U. It CANNOT use high power consumption/heat dissipation chips. There is a reason why there are no major-brand Pentium 4 based 1Us. The 970 isn't too high consumption, but it's a LOT higher than a .13 micron G4+ will be (42 watts, vs. <20 watts).

re the reliablility of this info: The info is on an official Motorola document (I don't have a link to it, but I've seen several recently). The 7457 exists.

re the 7460: What 7460? There is no 7460. Some rumor guy made it up. The 7457 is what MOSR was calling the 7460. Also, even if there was a 7460, it would be a low power version of the 7470 (assuming Moto followed their previous naming conventions). So you were really waiting for a 7470 (which, btw, was also made up by rumor sites. Primarily MOSR).

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by stukoch
Wow, next year. That means Moto might hit 1.8ghz BEFORE Intel/AMD get to 5ghz
I'm not really concerned where Intel is or will be.

And if i ever find myself concerned with Intel, i'd have to consider the idea that maybe a mac is no longer what i want.

Understand what i'm saying?