Motorola Xoom launching Feb 17th at Best Buy!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thesmoth, Jan 23, 2011.

1. thesmoth, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

thesmoth macrumors 6502

http://tablet-crunch.blogspot.com/2011/01/motorola-xoom-launching-february-17th.html

$800 is a bit steep, considering the rumoured specs for the iPad 2 and the fact that it will probably have the same entry level price of $500-550.

Seriously though, with the app store what it is, and how smooth and polished iOS is... even though Honeycomb is more ambitious in it's feature set than iOS, it seems buggy and the market is SO far behind.

EDIT - New info says the price may actually be $699, but we don't know if this is 3G or not. Also considering this is for a 32 gig model... The 32 gig iPad with 3G is $730...

2. sciwizam macrumors regular

Unless you have connections with Google, no one knows if it's buggy or not.

Also, the rumored specs of Ipad 2 are pretty much the same as the Xoom, in fact Xoom might have higher resolution @ 1280x800.

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

4. thesmoth, Jan 23, 2011

thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, having been using android phones for a while now I can say that the system SO FAR has been buggy and not as well optimized as iOS. Yes you are 100% correct no one knows how good/stable 3.0 honeycomb will be, and we'll have to wait and see. My intuition tells me it will be more ambitious and have more features than iOS, but will be less smooth and polished and will have more bugs. My feelings of going between android 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 on phones is like going between beta releases leading up to something polished and finished.

5. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Who wants a Xoom?
    I want a LG Optimus Pad, which is rumoured to have a 3D display, running on the Tegra 2, HDMI, USB, running Honeycomb and I would expect it to have two 5mp cameras (with flash) and a front facing camera at 2mp.

"A possible LG Optimus pad price has been speculated on too, with the notion of €299 (£250) sounding like a very attractive proposition - although we'd be surprised if it landed at this price." - maybe £500???

6. epi117 macrumors 6502

7. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Yeah right the price is going to be more like. 1200€

8. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree about the LG tablet. I don't want a Motorola tablet, since they are so terrible at supporting their hardware and providing updates to the android OS.

9. Piggie, Jan 23, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

My opinion is the whole Android/Honeycomb tablet thing is going to need a good 1 to 2 years going through the washing machine before we see the clean and crease free result at the other end.
    There will be winning and losing designs/makes/specs over this time, but it will level out and everyone will come to some plateau of agreement over time.

This is how things should work, how nature works, and how you get the very best from anything, sure it may be messy along the way and there will be winners and losers.
    I understand it's not the way many people here, esp younger members, like things to be I accept that, but it's how we got where we are today in the world of computing and how everything advanced so fast over the past 40 or so years.

Problem is of course, these days we have marketing and business men who get in the way and block evolution for corporate reasons which holds the industry back.

10. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Why?

11. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree 100%, this is what i've been getting at.

I've seen this with android so far for phones. All of the android version so far have been like beta releases, each one fixing critical issues and slowly building towards a strong a cohesive mobile OS. I think once android honeycomb for tablets is released, and then some of the UI improvements get brought over to the mobile phones, android will really be a force to be reckoned with. As you've said, this may be a year or two off though.

In the meantime, the iPad 2 is sounding really good (rumours of course).

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will get one for sure. But my best hopes for having something I can conduct business with is the Blackberry Playbook

13. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Not a chance.starting with zoom, apple is going to lose the market share war.

14. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Yup, definitely.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And that means nothing.

No one will sell more tablets than Apple, period. No one will have a greater share of the market than Apple.

The combined market share of the dozen or so companies making Android devices may be greater than Apple's share.

I bet Apple maintains a grip on this market like they did with the iPod. They are too far ahead of the rest.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree with you. I can easily see Android being the dominant tablet format in a few years time, with a larger app store eventually also, just due to more devices at more price points with a variation of features which will appeal to a larger audience than Apple who will probably just try and stick to a 1 model for everyone format.
    However, as an individual company I'd also see Apple selling more tablets than any one Android tablet manufacturer.

I still stand by my view that the only company Apple has to fear is Apple itself. Apple will probably do things that hurt itself though arrogance as they are in a 'We can't do anything wrong, people will buy whatever we make as it's Apple' period at the moment.

I suppose the 1st test of this will be how good will the iPad2 look given that they have had a year to improve the design, fix any problems, and change things for the better, also keeping their lead over the competition.

17. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

you mean like they lost market share when android 2.3 came out?

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The phone market share will always take a while to show itself.

In the UK now, the daily papers are awash, literally seething with Android phone deals on the major phone networks and via many national mobile phone dealers.

These adverts were not around 2 years ago, and even 1 year ago there was nothing like there is now.

Given people have had 1 or 2 year contracts on previous phones, it will only be now and over the next year or so that these, now free people will be coming up to selecting their new mobiles.

Some will perhaps stick with Nokia, some may take the expensive jump to an iPhone, but I suspect many will take advantage of the Android deals.

It's a slow burn, but I'm sure the giant wave is slowly growing out at sea now, and it won't be long before it starts to reach the beach ;)

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I predict that Android tablet sales will jump when HTC finally enters the market.

HTC seems to have a knack for creating good looking, usable UIs and integrated apps.

Not that it's needed so much, as most casual users seem to use tablets for web surfing and games, same as their laptop. So just price will make a big difference to them.

--

Re: Xoom prices, I'll wait to see what the WiFi-only version comes out at. (As others point out, there'll be sales and price drops, as with most electronics.)

20. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

You mean how android took over market share?

21. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the android market needs to improve a LOT before android tablets will really take on apple. The app store has many cool and fun games that run really nice and smooth. The android market place has much fewer of these good games, and the ones that have been ported over run quite poorly.

I agree with posters above that in 1-2 years android will be polish, developers will be releasing apps for both at around the same time, and then things will get much stiffer for apple.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, I cannot imagine any other scenario.

If you have say 40 million iPad owners and 40 or 60 million Android customers (due to the number of different manufacturers out there)

Why if you are a dev would you only release your App on the iPad store, and not possibly double your earnings by either yourself or getting someone else to create an android version?

Unless of course, in time Apple comes up with some scheme to tie devs to only it's platform, which I'm sure it would like to if it were possible.

23. gatearray macrumors 65816

I didn't think Android users actually purchased apps. Don't most of these 14 year-old boys just root and steal them? :)

24. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

i thought it was much harder to pirate apps on android.

With iOS you just have to jailbreak, get cydia, get installous, and you can get any app in the app store with ease. With android you have to root, get an APK manager program, and then hunt around on torrent sites. I had a look around on torrent sites for fun to see what was actually available and to see if this was true, and there are hardly any apps available. Basically angry birds, and then a handful of 'app bundles' which are mostly just garbage.

So no, I would say pirating on android isn't as rampant as it is in iOS. Having said that, most of the apps in the android market are garbage so maybe that's why...

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yes but some of us (when their iPads were JBroken) would get apps off of installous, and then either delete them or purchase them off of them iTunes store. I got to find out cheaply that NONE of the mobile office programs can handle a spread sheet with both a graphic image and merged cells.