Mountain Lion and iStat... have a look at Page ins... :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlexMaximus, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Hi folks,

I was wondering if Mountain Lion may give a Performance boost to older Macbook Pros.

I have noticed that the memory controller has changed big time in allocating memory to running programs. Before the upgrade to ML, iStat showed only minor "Page Ins" compared to now with about 2,3 million !!

This is big time change! Please check yours in iStat, especially if you have 8Gigs of Ram and have monitored Page Ins with Lion before. I bet you will notice a change.
    I think ML has a better memory allocation. Also most of my 8Gigs of Ram is in use now. This was significant different in Lion!

Please check yourself, I would be thrilled to hear your observation.

Thanks folks!

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

3. mdapple macrumors regular

he said "page IN's". people dont read anymore hah

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think the point ivoruest is making is that page ins don't matter and aren't worth watching, as you will always have page ins and they'll vary depending on what you're doing. Page outs, on the other hand, indicate that you're maxing out your RAM, so they are worth watching.

5. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Yea, a quick search/read on google would be informative enough to know how ram works, and to know not to watch the page ins, but instead to monitor free ram, page outs, and swaps.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I think most people completely missed the point the op was making.

7. The "Dude" macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm afraid people missed the point of the post.

I'm at 57k page ins @ 5hr uptime.

I'd love to test ML....BUT I HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY G****MN CODE YET!!!

8. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I uderstand that premise of this and have read it too. However it may not always be the case. Could bad programming do it too? I ask because my rMBP with 16GB of RAM occasionally shows a few Page Outs, albeit very little, without a lot of apps running.

----------

To reply to the OP, I have 295k Page Ins after 5 hrs uptime.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Remember that page outs are cumulative since the last restart. They are not real-time. So when you see page outs, you don't know when they occurred, unless you're watching Activity Monitor at the time they appear. It's most likely they occurred at a time you were running more apps or more memory-intensive apps.
    Page ins aren't driven by uptime. They're driven by what apps and documents you open and run. You could have high page ins after 4 minutes of uptime or low page ins after 4 days of uptime. It depends on what you're running.