Mountain Lion on 2.8GHz Mid-2007 24inch iMac with 4GB?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Jul 25, 2012.

1. bluedoggiant, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I know my machine, a 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme 24 inch iMac with 4GB (Mid-2007 model), is listed as the minimum requirement for compatibility with Mountain Lion, but I was wondering if anyone whose installed Mountain Lion on a similar machine as mine, or lesser, has had any issues with the new OS X "bugging out" or lagging. Is it a smooth experience? I am currently on SL.

UPDATE:
    Downloaded Mountain Lion. All I can say is wow, this update put some new life into my 5 year old iMac, and its blisteringly fast. Solid update from Apple.

2. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I just installed Mountain Lion on my Early 2008 24" iMac and have been very impressed so far. I was never very satisfied with Lion as it was very laggy and freezy for me. One example would be if I clicked Launchpad it would take several seconds to show up but now with Mountain Lion it pops up instantly with not even a hint of lag. Everything seems 100% better now(crossing fingers it continues to work so well).

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I see your specs are nearly the same as mine, but did the Early 2008 iMac have the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB graphics card? You can find this in System Profiler. I am curious as to how the graphics performance is (for example going in and out of full screen mode).

4. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's the Radeon HD 2600. Everything including full screen mode, Mission Control, switching between apps and etc. are very smooth so far.

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Downloaded Mountain Lion. All I can say is wow, this update put some new life into my 5 year old iMac, and its blisteringly fast. Solid update from Apple.

6. torana355 macrumors 68020

Yep running on my 2008 24" iMac and its been running great since the GM was released. A little snappier then Lion but i think Snow Leopard was faster still. Good to see im not the only one running an older iMac :p

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

These computers are built to last a long time really, its a shame Apple has a habit of making older Macs seem obsolete by dropping support when they're really plenty capable computers. I'm assuming this is the last update my iMac will get.

I never upgraded to Lion due to how buggy it was but coming straight from SL, as of right now, I can't say which one is quicker, they're both quite stable, and the animations in ML are smooth.

8. torana355 macrumors 68020

Yeah same, i will upgrade to the new iMac when it comes out and hopefully i will get 5 years out of that aswell. I will pass my 2008 iMac onto a family member as its still a very capable machine. Good to hear ML is on par with SL, i have not done a back to back test yet.

9. theanimala macrumors 6502

Well, I bought my 24" 2007 2.4Ghz iMac with 4GB the day it was announced. Upgraded it to Leopard, then later to Snow Leopard and have been there for the past 2 years. I never went to Lion because I heard horror stories about it. Unlike other Mac users, my Mac experience has not been flawless and a year ago I did a full reinstall of Snow Leopard to make the computer run more smoothly. It helped, but it would still run very slow at times.

I decided to take a chance to Mountain Lion last week, and so far I am very pleased. It did take a few hours to upgrade, and initially after restarted it was CRAZY slow. Since then though it has been running flawlessly, and actually faster than what I had with SL. Everyone's experiences will be different, but I for one am a very happy user, and figured this will help breathe another 2 or 3 years of life into this old dog.