Mouse cursor refuses to leave center of monitor after awakening.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RonArt, Jan 1, 2011.

1. RonArt, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

RonArt macrumors member

RonArt

Mouse cursor refuses to leave center of monitor after awakening.

So it requires a hard reboot since I can't access the menus, etc.

The cursor simply refuses to move away from a central region and if I try to move it out of this area the cursor snaps back.

Has anyone else heard of a similar problem?

I'm using USB Overdrive with my Logitech MX Performance mouse, and OS X 10.6.5 on a 27" iMac.

Never had this problem before... ever... in over a decade of using Macs, many years in using USB Overdrive, and over a year of using my Logitech mouse and quite a while using 10.6.5.

The only change that I made before this began happening was to install Portal... but even after not using it for over a week this still occurs.

EDIT (added): I did think of one other change I made before this began happening.... the last Java update from Apple.

I have used Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to delete the cache files and this seems to cure the problem for a day or more.

I haven't been able to narrow it down to any specific app that might be causing the corruption/conflict since it happens so infrequently (once a day makes it hard to narrow it down).

I've done extensive searches on the web for others having similar problems and though I've read that many people have had jumping cursor problems I haven't found anyone with a similar limited/focused area cursor problem.

TIA for any suggestions/references.

Ron

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would recommend uninstalling USB Overdrive, just as a test. If it works fine without it installed, then try simply reinstalling it. If the problem returns, trash the prefs for USB Overdrive and try again. If that doesn't fix it, but it worked without USB Overdrive installed, I'd then contact the developer (assuming you have already made sure you're using the latest version).

If it doesn't work right without USB Overdrive, you'll have then eliminated that possibility, but it seems to me that's the most likely cause (not an actually faulty product of course, it's a great program, but you may have found a bug or just have developed a glitch somehow, I've seen it happen with better software than that even).

jW

3. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Thanks.

Thanks Mal.

Hard to go a day or two without USB Overdrive. And of course to be certain I'd have to go 3-4 days without it.

I've never had a problem like this in all the years I've used USBOD but... there is always a first time.

4. RonArt thread starter macrumors member

RonArt

Solved!

Solved the problem and I thought I'd give you my ROFL solution.

My Wacom tablet was connected and its pen was in the holder ON the CENTER of the tablet!!!!!!!!

DOH!!!