Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Anybody ever heart of the "mouse over window" feature in mac os x ?
I use it on a daily base on linux and it is the only thing i am missing in mac os x .
anybody got an idea ?
thx

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
well if you point the mother over a window, lets call it x
x gets active, that means the window is in the foreground. This results in that you don t have to klick onm every window to make it active.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
anybody else things this would be an interesting feature ?
anybody got an idea on how to switch that on. ?

stoid

macrumors 601
Expose will help with this, and you can at least perform window commands on background windows like close, dockify, and change size with the green friend.

While this feature would be cool, I don't think Apple will ever impliment. To a beginning user especially, I think that it would just be confusing. I personally would be interested in trying it out although it might make me think I am under attack!!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I agree this feature would be very confusing for the beginner, thus Apple would never impliment it (think the one-button mouse fiasco). Personally, when I first experienced it on Linux, I was very confused, but after using it awhile, have come to like it. Perhaps a shareware app could make it happen....

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by maradong
well if you point the mother over a window, lets call it x
x gets active, that means the window is in the foreground. This results in that you don t have to klick onm every window to make it active.

This is something that still annoys me from time to time on MacOS... AND Windows.

On Amiga, I used to DOUBLE-click a window to get it into the foreground, and used a SINGLE click to activate it.
This way, I never had floating windows on the Amiga: Your favourite window was on top, and you could work on others being in the background. By a simple double/single click difference.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
a 3rd party app could do it all.
just if i wrote it i would want some retribution. maybe someone out there is good enough in cocoa to do it and do it so well and, to them, easily that they will make it freeware: a prefpane would be preferable and requires very little extra code (even i can do that sort of stuff (prefpanes - not replicate x-active))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.