Mouse pointer missing (sometimes) on startup

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by JackP, May 13, 2019.

1. JackP macrumors member

I recently did a clean install of High Sierra on my Mid-2015 iMac. I have noticed about 30% of the time after a restart or cold boot that the mouse point is missing. If I move the pointer around over screen objects I can see that the mouse is working but the actual pointer is missing (I can even click or drag).

I have a graphics tablet connected and it does the same thing so it is not the physical mouse. I started having this issue before I installed the tablet so it isn't the drivers or anything else related to the tablet. The pointer will usually appear somewhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes later if I do nothing. I have the screen saver hot corners enabled, and if I activate the screen saver the pointer is always displayed after the screen saver exits (this has been my quick fix).

I have disabled all my startup items but still have the issue. I have done limited testing in a new user account and have not had the issue, but since it doesn't happen all the time I cant really say whether the alternate account has the problem or not.

I usually just sleep the computer and the problem does not happen on wake, just startup.

Anyone having this issue or have any ideas?

2. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue. I just run the mouse down to the dock to get the cursor. I will start playing around with Mojave soon and I'll see whether or not it goes away.

3. JackP thread starter macrumors member

pshufd - You don't by any chance have Extensis Suitcase installed.
    That's the only thing in my startup items.

4. pshufd macrumors 6502a

No. BTW, I think that it only happens on one of my Macs. I have three of them running High Sierra.