Move an app to another iOS device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zZebracurtainZz, Nov 6, 2011.

1. zZebracurtainZz macrumors newbie

Hello,

My dad has an iPad 2 for work and I just got an iPhone 4s. We both have separate iTunes accounts but I was curious if there is any way I can get a couple of his paid apps (particularly the iWork apps). Thanks

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

There isn't, no. Apps can only be installed on devices linked to the same iTunes account they were purchased on.

3. zZebracurtainZz thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought there was a way to authorize an iTunes account on multiple (5 I think) computers. If this is true couldn't I add my Dad's account to my Macbook and then download the app from there.

4. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Are you sure? because i've gave my brother plenty of paid apps from itunes account to his iphone which is linked to another itunes account. I don't know the limit to how many people you can share with, but it's definitely doable. I did this simply by logging into my itunes account on his phone and downloaded the paid app.

5. eenuuk macrumors regular

That is maybe a loophole but it is certainly not intended to be that way by Apple.

6. zZebracurtainZz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's even simpler than the way I was considering. I'll have to get my Dad's password from him and try that.

7. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Like the OP said, now I remember there is a limit of 5 computers linked. I don't see how its a loophole. It's a great way to share apps with family.

----------

If you're going to try it, try it on a cheap app first. It's still going to say the price and once you 'buy' it, it should tell u you have already bought this app will you download it again?

Something along those lines.

Also,I looked up the requirements for App sharing on the forums. Pretty much its 5 computers that can be linked with one itunes id and you can share unlimited apps between those 5.

8. eenuuk macrumors regular

Its too late at night to get into the loophole discussion, however, it is illegal. The software agreement is between iTunes/Developer and the account holder. The '5 linked computers' is for said license holder to use their multiple devices not said license holders family members....

Each individual is required to purchase the software if you want to stay on the right side of legal.

I am not preaching either way - just pointing it out.

9. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Home Sharing your iTunes libraries among your family computers

Home Sharing enables you to stream or transfer music, movies, TV shows, apps, and more among up to five authorized computers in your household. To do so, you will need to Turn on Home Sharing on each computer using the same Apple ID. Once set up, all the libraries from your computers you've enabled Home Sharing on will show up in the SHARED area of iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819 It's right from apple's website. Introduced in iTunes 9.

10. APlotdevice, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I had not heard of this. So I looked it up, and yeah, apparently you can download apps if you're logged into the other person's account. However as eenuik says, the software license only grants the purchaser the right to use the app. And I imagine this solution wouldn't be terribly convenient anyway, seeing as you would need to change the login in your settings anytime there is an update.

11. eenuuk, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

eenuuk macrumors regular

From the iTunes store terms and conditions:

In relation to the app store:

And in direct response to your home sharing comment:

The last quote is a small excerpt on a section that shows there are quite specific terms that say the device must be owned and controlled by the purchaser.

In short, I read that as your agreement is with the developer not with iTunes unless it is Apple specific software (I still don't think this justifies multiple users given quotes above). As a developer I would be pretty pissed if you were buying my app and having 5 family members use it for free. Just my 2 cents.

In regards to home sharing and authorising 5 machines. That is meant for the following scenario (example). I have a iMac, MBP, aTV2, iPhone 4S and a Mac mini. I want to share the stuff I purchased between them. No problem, I am covered by the 5 authorised machines and home sharing since I am the license holder. If my girlfriend moves in and brings her iMac I could technically share all my apps with her, but I would be violating the licensing agreements. As I say, not preaching, the OP can do as they please but I think it is pertinent to raise the finer points :)

12. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

There is a limit of 10 copies of the paid app. So no more than 10 iDevices sharing the same app On a account at a time.

13. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I guess we're both right haha. But I can see what youre saying with people taking advantage of multiple people using an app. IMO, it seems like it is standard to have some sort of home sharing, such as Netflix and the PS3 sharing games.

14. eenuuk macrumors regular

Just seen that below the condition you mention the following is stated:

Where your quote is (i)

15. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Actually it's 5 computers, not devices. I'm 100% sure on that. But it does say family computers, which I would imply not only yours, but anyone in the family. ahhaha

16. eenuuk macrumors regular

Apple words it so loosely for marketing but when you delve into the legal aspect (which no one does) what your agreeing to when buying the stuff disagrees with the marketing. Though with the machine being on your home network etc I guess you can argue that it is 'controlled' by you. However, again, that is only when the agreement is between you and Apple/iTunes. This may not apply to Third party apps/content. This is also an interesting area as I thought you entered into one single agreement but according to the terms you don't!

17. xdbuix macrumors 6502

So true. Let's just agree that Apple is way too loose on their terminology. I'm glad I had this discussion. ahaha

18. xdbuix macrumors 6502

This was in the 3rd party section. Enjoy! ;)

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on a compatible iOS Device.

(iv) You shall be able to manually sync App Store Products from at least one iTunes-authorized device to iOS Devices that have manual sync mode, provided that the App Store Product is associated with an Account on the primary iTunes-authorized device, where the primary iTunes-authorized device is the one that was first synced with the iOS Device or the one that you subsequently designate as primary using the iTunes application.

19. eenuuk, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

eenuuk macrumors regular

Please don't miss quote, re-read again. That is not the third party terms!!! That is for the app store in general, and had you read further.....

20. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

complete hogwash I have been sharing a mates apple ID ever since iOS 5 beta 1 and he lives elsewhere in my city and never once authorised the device using a pc/mac

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If you're shaing an ID then you are sharing an iTunes account.

Anyway, as it has been pointed out numerous times, sharing apps with other people violates the software license you agreed to.

22. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Leaving aside the legal agreements for a while, I would imagine that the situation where family members living in the same house are sharing apps, is not of great concern to Apple. Given the Home Sharing rules and the fact that they allow more than one iTunes ID per computer could be interpreted to suggest that they almost encourage it.

On the other hand, sharing your Apps with friends would probably not go down so well. Apple do have some natural protection in this case because sharing an Apple ID does mean that the person you are sharing with can make purchases on your account and view your details. I'm sure not many people are that trusting, even of their best friends.

So, effectively, you can share Apple ID's and therefore Apps with anyone you are willing to share your credit card details with. Add that to the 5 computer limit and Apple are fairly safe from the system being abused.

----------

I can confirm from experience that it is not very convenient.

My wife and I used to have our computers authorised for both our Apple ID's in order to be able to share Apps. The problem is that it only updates Apps on the currently logged in account. You have to remember to keep logging into the different accounts to keep them updated.

In the end, I just ended up re-buying the Apps on her account (luckily it was only about £10 worth) on my own account and then binning hers. It was worth the money to do it.

23. xdbuix, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

xdbuix macrumors 6502

I did read that. Your statement does say "This licence does not allow you to use the Licensed Application on any Apple Device that you do not own or control, and, except as provided in the Usage Rules, you may not distribute or make the Licensed Application available over a network where it could be used by multiple devices at the same time."

I'm not misquoting. I'm agreeing with you 1000%. I'm just adding more information. I'm just saying yes the license is to one person, but the terms and services does say that App store product usage has exceptions and those are the usage rules. Also the whole own and control thing is a fine line. The part that's a real fine line is where the usage rules does state that an IOS device can hold up to 5 different accounts for use.

I thought we were going to agree that Apple is shady on its terms and services lol. I hope we're cool dude. I'm really not trying to burst your bubble. I just thought it was interesting.

24. eenuuk macrumors regular

This statement pretty much answers the posts since my last post.

This statement means home sharing is only intended for the purposes of the legal party using their app on multiple devices on their home network not the rest of the household.

We can go round in circles all day but in short it is illegal to let someone use your purchased apps. Thats the official stance, does Apple really care if your doing the kinda things we have discussed here? No, probably not.

So to conclude this thread, since it is getting boring now, can the OP do what they have asked? Yes. But lets not be under any illusion that Apple officially isn't promoting you sharing all your Apps for use by the whole family (or your mates).

PS - yes we are cool :)

25. xorjo macrumors member

THIS. I'm seriously SHOCKED that many here were clueless that you could do this, it's very simple just log off, log in on your dad's itunes account and downlad the apps you want... the only thing is that when you have to update that app, you have to update it with your dad's password, really no inconvenience.. this is how it's been FOREVER, I have multiple itunes accounts and I do this.