Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3wood

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Henrico, VA
Howdy all, I'd like to move all content (applications, data, everything) from my 2011 iMac 27" over to my 2012 retina MBP. The MBP has an SSD so is much faster than the iMac. Once I've moved all content over to the MBP, I'll use the iMac as monitor for the MBP until I decide on good monitor for the MBP, and then I'll pass the iMac on to a family member.

I have good Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner backups of the both computers on 3.0 external drives .

In case a suggestion is made to connect the computers via Thunderbolt cable, I have one.

My question (finally) is what is the best way to move this content over? I think I would like to format the SSD and then use CCC to clone the iMac backup onto the MBP. but honestly I don't know if that's the preferred way or not. I'd be happy for your comments/ advice.

Many thanks,
Reed

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Question:
Are you going to use the "old" account from the iMac, or do you already have a new user account established on the MBPro?

This is important, because it will determine how best to proceed.

Answer this question, and we can go further.

BTW, I strongly suggest a CCC backup on an external drive as your "intermediary" for the job.

3wood

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Henrico, VA
Question:
Are you going to use the "old" account from the iMac, or do you already have a new user account established on the MBPro?

This is important, because it will determine how best to proceed.

Answer this question, and we can go further.

BTW, I strongly suggest a CCC backup on an external drive as your "intermediary" for the job.
I intend to use the "old" account from the iMac.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I intend to use the "old" account from the iMac.
Simplest way, or the way I'd do it anyway: hook that Time Machine backup of the iMac up to the laptop and run "Migration Assistant" which should already be installed stock on the MacBook. It'll give you some options as to what to migrate over -- pick what you want. There are options to move whole users' accounts. I've done this a number of times and find it reliable.

The method above will move just your documents and apps, preferences, etc. Better off with a clean install of OS X on the iMac, then moving in your user accounts and apps. I'm pretty sure you can't just clone the HD of the iMac onto the MacBook because they have different, hardware-specific OS X components.

In any case, hang on to that CCC and Time Machine backup of the iMac and that's your failsafe in case anything gets weird.

Reactions: davidmartindale

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you're going to use the old account from the iMac, Migration Assistant should work.

I would still do a complete cloned backup of the iMac using CCC.

Then, before you start MA, I would do this:
1. Connect the backup
2. Click ONE time on its icon, then type command-i (eye) to bring up "get info".
3. Down towards the bottom is the "sharing and permissions" area. If you don't see it, click the disclosure arrow to reveal it.
4. Click the lock icon and enter your password
5. Now, put a check into the "ignore ownership on this volume" box.
6. Close the get info box.
Doing this guarantees that you won't experience any permissions problems with the new drive v. the old.

The reason I suggest CCC (instead of Time Machine) is that I've read reports from others that the migration process goes faster using CCC than with TM. I've never once used TM, so I have no experience personally.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Migration Assistant is the way to go, per ignatius345. A benefit of this approach is that your MacBook can inherit the Time Machine backup afterwards and continue adding snapshots to it. Restoring a Time Machine backup or cloning a Mac partition onto another Mac is not recommended, use Migration Assistant instead.

3wood

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Henrico, VA
Thanks everybody very much for your help. I successfully moved everything over to the MBP 2 times. First time using Migration Assistant and a Time Mach. backup. Then just to see what if any differences, I used MA and a CCC backup. All went well and though I didn't time them, transfer rate and total time seemed comparable.

I don't have a preference on which backup to use. SO, NOW I'M AN EXPERT!! I wish :D. Far from it.

If I think of anything worth sharing, and I probably will after using the MBP for a while, I'll post it here.

Many thanks...........Reed
Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:17:38 AM EDT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.