Move Home folder to externall HDD or move only Music, Movies, Pictures and Documents?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lehcim, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Lehcim macrumors member

I'm confused and would need some help please:

Basically, I've upgraded the internall HDD of my Mini to a Samsung 830 and I want to use an external USB 3.0 HDD to store my music, movies, pictures and documents.

I've done some research, because I'm a Mac noob :D, and I was initially inclined to move the whole Home folder to the external HDD, but I've then discovered that the cache folder would then also be moved and that would certainly slow down the whole machine.

So, if I'm correct, I think it would be better to only move the 4 folders: Music, Movies, Pictures and Documents.
    Is this the best option?
    If yes, what's the best way to do it?

If there is any better solution, suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

Not moving your home folder would probably be better, in case you ever have problems with the external HDD, you could not login unless you had another admin account on the SSD for troubleshooting issues.
    As for moving those folders (Documents, Music, Movies, Pictures) you could try via symlinks or just use your own created folders on the external HDD and let iTunes, iPhoto and other applications point to it via their Preferences or the Save dialog.
    I rarely use the standard folders anyway and use my own system (I did the same in Windows too), but then again, not everyone might like that.

3. Lehcim thread starter macrumors member

I like the idea of symlinks, any good tutorial you could recommend?

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Never mess around with the home folder. I renamed it once, and it was a heap of trouble fixing my way out of that.