Move iPhotos library AND the new Photos library to a new HDD? (hard linking question)

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by netslacker, Aug 7, 2015.

1. netslacker macrumors 6502

So, I migrated my iPhotos library to Photos, but I'd like to keep both libraries. I also recently upgraded to an SSD (now that trimforce makes TRIM super easy). Individually, each library takes up 250-260GB however, together they take up just a bit more than the one larger one because they both hard-reference the same original files. i.e.: Currently, to keep both libraries where they are, only 280gb is required. But as soon as I try and move them both to a different drive, then they require 530gb as it seems the hard-linking that is done to a single file get's undone and the files get duplicated.

Is there a way to move both libraries while maintaining the hard-linking to the single file?

2. dsemf macrumors regular

It "appears" that Carbon Copy Cloner maintains the hard link relationship. I compared the link structures on my internal disk with the same structures on the backup disk and the hard link is still there. The inode number itself is different as expected.

DS