Move over IA, MS, SC & SD, Tennessee is in the house

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 23, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm surprised, Alabama usually isn't this far behind the backwards states. :rolleyes:

Tennessee bill would jail Shariah followers

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What the....? I don't get the point of this.

If (just making up examples for the sake of argument) Sharia law says that you should kill an adulterer, and you do, you'll end up being prosecuted for murder no matter what. If Sharia law says that you have to fast during Ramadan, and you do, then you're following Sharia law and subject to prosecution?

How is that not a violation of the first amendment?

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They really only care about the 2nd in the south.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Granted I haven't done extensive research on the bill that was introduced, but I would guess that the goal is to simply emphasize that Sharia law will not be tolerated or considered a valid defense when someone chooses to break the law for "religious reasons". Here's a pretty good article that better explains Sharia law.

Full Article

I would seriously doubt that the moral aspects of Sharia law that do not break national or state law would be of issue. For example, dietary laws, etc.. If you want to follow a specific moral code for your own behavior then have at it, but when that crosses into you violating someone else's rights then a boundary must be drawn. Things like honor killings, mutilation, eye for an eye justice, and gender based civil inequality can not be tolerated.

5. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Those things would not be tolerated under existing US laws and regulations. Why does TN need another law specifically targeting Sharia?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If it was just banning Sharia law as a defense it is one thing but I would have to know if any court cases were ruled in favor of the defended that they used Sharia law as their defense first. Other wise I see this as nothing more than Political BS

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There are Shari'a courts in the UK, but they only deal with civil contracts, marriage and divorce. No amputations required there. There are also Battei (Beth) Din in the UK, and, presumably, in the US. Should they be banned, too?

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Again, I haven't read the details of the specific bill in question and I agree with your statement. My point in contributing to the discussion was not to defend the bill, but to provide additional information to illustrate that such issues are not always a case of black and white religious discrimination.

Cultural differences can get challenging when it comes to legalities. Take civil laws in relation to marriage as an example. Our local government can only uphold the existing law when they have knowledge that it has been violated. If the offended party does not involve the local authorities because they are oppressed, being threatened, or feel they do not have any rights based on their cultural law then there is a barrier to the existing regulations protecting them.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is really dumb. Why don't they just punish the actions with existing laws (ie. if you lash someone under Sharia Law, you face the charge for battery)?

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Because here in America, we don't bother with enforcing the existing laws, we just keep coming up with new ones.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

How does having a Shari'a court work? Is the judge bound by those laws for civil matters, and is he sworn to uphold it?

Is there an analogous court for Christians, Jews, or atheists?

How do the parties determine if they want to be in Shari'a court? What if one party wants to be in, but the other doesn't? Is there any mitigation of the heavy misogyny that is in Shari'a law?

Or is Shari'a law used in non-binding private arbitration as a type of ADR?

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I see nothing wrong with this law. Although it may be somewhat pointless, it's just proving a point, whatever.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If it is pointless, it is self-evidently not proving a point.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

They're just trying to say that sharia law will never be tolerated here, so don't even bother trying to use it as a defense in court when you kill your daughter for marrying an infidel.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

How does this relate to praying or washing feet? Isn't that a direct assault on the 1st Amendment?

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's not really sharia law, that's a religious thing which obviously won't be banned. That would be unconstitutional. They just don't want people citing sharia law in court, they can simply just say "sharia law is a felony here, what's your next defense?"

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Has there been a single case of anyone successfully using Sharia law as a defense in court?

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

But the legislation includes prohibitions on those activities. I think it indicates racism as opposed to a genuine desire to avoid creating an affirmative defense.

If it was really about what law is upheld in court, there is really no debate at all. Even Christian justifications for crimes are not adequate defenses.

I think we've just moved on from the gays to the Muslims as our next social pariah.

19. MacVixen macrumors 6502

*Just* moved on? I'd say the Muslims have been considered social pariahs ever since a certain date in US History occurred...

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I agree, I just meant that the public seems to be accepting the gays now and the vitriol against the LGBT community has declined considerably lately, while intensifying for Muslims.

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Gay Muslims, though, still not doing so hot.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No, I suppose they're not. Imagine being at that family reunion.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Spoken like someone from Lawn Guy Land. :rolleyes: