Move Production out of China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stockcerts, Jan 12, 2017.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

We really need to get out of China! China is an emery of America and they are militarizing the South China Sea. I was glad to hear that some of the future iPhone production is moving to India. We should not be supporting China while they are threatening world peace!

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

My issue with China is that they don't have much protection for workers. The small wages, suicide nets in factories, health failings due to lack of proper safety gear, etc.

It's very unfair labor practices and just look at the pollution.

That country needs an overhaul.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes the suicide nets, protecting workers who never had a suicide rate as high as any of the 50 US States or the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.

And on pollution I thought climate change was a Chinese conspiracy...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2017 ---
    More high speed rail and subways than the rest of the world put together not enough?

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Nope. I believe in climate change. I just don't believe it's 100% man-made. However we do contribute greatly to it.

Suicide rates are vastly unreported in that country. They like their secrecy after all. You don't think that government sweeps people under the rug?

Yeah, they've got decent transportation. They need to as the amount of pollution if they all had cars would be even worse. Plus the cost of public transportation is probably more viable. That's the point I think you are dead on with. If only we had that type of travel with the convenience, I think I'd be very happy. I feel Japan has this down to a science.

Edit: Not sarcasm, but what do you think spurns our suicide rates? I know Japan is high on the list too.

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Before embracing more iPhone manufacture facilities will be moved back to USA, some needs to think this:
    How many US workers agree to assemble iPhone 10-14 hours a day, earn only $5-7 an hour, with only basic lunch and dinner? If there are many, we will have a much higher chance to make sure future iPhone is built right in USA.
    We all know Apple is good at setting a high price tag to justify their "innovation" and "unique build quality". Even though assemble cost only contributes a small portion, the added cost will be reflected to retail price eventually.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source Foxconn was sweeping suicides under the carpet?

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I didn't specifically say Foxconn. You mentioned that. I'm talking about the country as a whole. Like all the girl children that were raised without documentation. If it's something that'll make the government look bad, better to stop it under the rug.

8. juanm, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Or Apple and other large,massively profitable companies could do the right thing and pay workers more. I know, I know.... but thats not capitalism or **insert pro share-holder argument here **.

What Im saying is lets get back to some trickle-down profit sharing via the workforce. Thats how it used to be. Now, its 100% "stroke the share-holder shaft". Sucks.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The rail system that employs "pushers" to make sure the rail cars hold as many passengers as can be shoved in? No thank you. China's rail system, however, is wonderful.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

If you're gonna say it, source it.

I'm not sure how this relates to the treatment of workers? If anything it would be because they were victims of the one child policy, and the status that have a male child means to families in China.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    Do you actually know how much it costs for a Japanese person to travel on a Shinkansen? At the cost of it, it certainly isn't a "convenience"

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Unless we can get the national debt under control, we can never divorce ourselves of China. They (and Japan) are the largest holder of US Bonds; essentially, they're our Gub'ment's credit card. Uncle Sam doesn't want daddy cutting up the MasterCard.:oops:

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Thankfully policy decisions won't be made on your "beliefs"
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    Damn never thought we'd agree on anything.

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Hey, out-of-work sumo wrestlers need to pay bills, too. :)

Kidding aside, I hear these "pushers" during the off-peak hours do things like serve as information/courtesy workers and help little old ladies with their packages.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Considering that there wouldn't be anything to source except that you don't see suicide nets at workplace factories here, I think that speaks volumes.

The space in Japan is limited and I'm sure it's not more affordable to rent a garage to store your car (In bigger cities like Tokyo at least). Plus the bi-annual inspections, automobile tax, and of course insurance. Now in more rural areas, it is probably more necessary to have a car.

I'm sure we've all got "beliefs" here.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

True but man made climate change isn't a belief.

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I never said that. I said that I believe that we do contribute but that science has also shown a certain amount of climate change is also naturally occurring as well.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Link to some peer reviewed articles pls

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Because you doubt that climate change would be ongoing even if humans weren't contributing?

Amazing.

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Also to think that the earth doesn't change at all naturally is like saying there is no such thing as evolution. People are being born without wisdom teeth. The earth isn't this unchanging environment.

However, we are hastening the changes and need to invest in cleaner energy. There is so much sun here, imagine if all buildings were required solar power with regular electricity only as a backup? That or harnessing wind.

If the oil companies would start investing in renewable resources, we'd see a big improvement. However, I doubt they'd want to give up their bread and butter, no matter how bad it is for the world.

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

There there, I know science is hard

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Which means exactly what? You misspoke and are trying to distract from that with more nonsense?

Great plan.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Because we killed off the dinosaurs during the ice age right?

24. elistan macrumors 6502a

Sure, volumes about media hysteria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
    2010 was the year with the most suicides at Foxconn. With 930,000 employees, that's a rate of 1.5 suicides per 100,000 people. Compare that to China's overall of 20 suicides per 100,000 people, or France's overall of 14.7 suicides per 100,000 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_S.A.#Staff_suicides

In fact, at France Télécom between '08 and '11, over 60 people committed suicide. That's way more than the total of 25 attempts at Foxconn (not just a window of time.) That's a suicide rate at France Télécom of 15.3 per 100,000 people.

The nets were about hysteria and perception, and not about an abnormally high suicide rate.

Anyway, regarding manufacturing moving out of China, that is indeed happening but my understanding is it's for rather mundane reasons, not some political ideal relating to South China Sea militarization or such. It's because the attention being given to manufacturing in China, including environmental and quality-of-life impacts, has raised the cost of manufacturing there, so manufacturing is moving to other locations that are cheaper because they have not yet implemented all the protections that have been set up in China. Now, maybe that's a good thing because the places manufacturing is moving to might not be 'threatening world peace' but in terms of the environment and the people working at these factories, it can be a step backwards. But then again, if conditions of these new, cheaper facilities then get at much attention as conditions in China has been getting, perhaps those places will be forced to improve as well...