Moved down to the 13" uMBP from a 17" uMBP but thinking about 15" uMBP now..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #1
    Ok guys, I've recently moved down to a 13" mbp from a 17" mbp but I'm starting to notice that later in the future (I already know myself) that I will be dying for screen real estate.

    The 13" size is freaking awesome and all but at times I feel as if its kind of TOO small.

    I think a 15" would be perfect (and I do miss a dedicated GPU) as when I have my 13" connected to my 24" LED ACD the animation from spaces and everything is slow compared to using a 9600m gt card. I guess it fudges up my workflow and experience with SL.

    I guess I would break even if I went to the 15" but the reason I went with the 13" is due to the size (but now starting to think its TOO small) and to put extra $$ in my pocket.

    One main reason that I'm hesitant on exchanging the 13" mbp (even with the restock fee) is due to the fact that the 15" and 17" mbp has not yet received an update with the quad core chip.

    I guess my logic is, I would rather have spent the $1500 on my 2.53GHz mbp and keep the extra $$ instead of breaking even with an outdated 15" specs.

    But another side of my reasoning is that "who cares about the i5/i7 updates on the mbp as long as the 15" has a bigger screen and faster GPU (to be used with my 24" ACD) than my current 13".

    Ok guys, so I have a week left until I can exchange my 13" for a 15" but what would you guys do in my shoes?

    I'd appreciate your opinions.
     
  2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

    kny3twalker

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #2
    See if the local store with exchange without restocking fee, otherwise wait for the update before reconsidering.
     
  3. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #3
    The 9400M is perfectly sufficient for Core Animation (the 9600GT won't be any better.. it is just overkill). It is really down to the graphics drivers and optimisation.

    As for the 15" - I think it is the perfect size. I too had a 17" MacBook Pro for a week, then downgraded back to the 15", then recently sold the 15" for a 13", and now I just sold that 13" on eBay so I can purchase the 15" again!

    Crazy..? Yep. The size of the 15" is optimal and there is powerful configurations for it. 15" MBP and external display is the best combination I think.
     
  4. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #4
    It all depends on what you're doing with it.
     
  5. jungeliest macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #5
    They are not getting quad core chips. They are getting the Arrandale, dual core hyperthreading chips.
     
  6. needlz macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    #6
    I've sold my (2007) 15.4" MBP, bought a new 13" uMBP and well, I LOVE IT. If I need a larger screen, I simply connect it to my 23" LED.

    Now regarding the price difference; you won't notice the 9400 VS 9600 difference while doing "low-end" tasks; both are more than enough. If you need a snappier system; why not spend the money for a SSD?

    Remember, you're just paying for a higher resolution, larger screen and a good GPU. If you need those options, go for them. If you just need a faster system, try out a SSD ;)
     
  7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

    Mintin8

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #7
    I'm debating on which ones to get as well. Obviously, I will be waiting for the update. But I really need something portable and something larger as well. So 13inch MBP & either the 15 or 17inch as well. It really is tough.

    I would say just keep the 13inch just now, I mean, you have an ACD to connect it up to. Then get a 15inch, It seems just right for your needs.
     
  8. nigameash macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Location:
    Space: The Final Frontier
    #8
    just wait for the update it ll be worth it ;) i am looking to sell my umbp 2.66ghz and get a mba if the rev d is good enough :)
     
  9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #9
    I was thinking about getting an SSD as well, BUT it is just TOO expensive right now. If anything I'd order a 80GB intel SSD but it is not enough space as I use my 13" mbp as my main machine now (currently using a hitachi travelstar 500GB 7200rpm model).

    So far I'm leaning on just keeping my 13" as it is highly portable, and maybe I'm just not used to its screen size as I was just coming off a 17" hi resolution screen?

    But thanks for your comments guys, especially the comment about if I wanted to pay more for a higher resolution, larger screen and a good GPU. Now thinking carefully about it, I dont need any of those things. I'll keep my 13"! But as long as that 2 week exchange period is there, the 15" will be at the back of my head for another week!

    So more comments will be appreciated!

    One thing IS 100% certain though, the animation using the 9400m GT is not nearly as smooth as it is with the 9600m GT. Thats my only gripe.. But if its going to cost me $900 bucks more just to get a lil smoother animation, I dont think its going to be worth that MUCH!

    My other logic is if I get a 15" mbp, I might as well should have kept the 17" as it is only a pound heavier than the 15". But weight wasnt the primary issue for me but the footprint of the 17" was a hassle to use. I mean just to compile a small program in class, taking out the 17" beast was such a mess!

    One other alternative did pop up in my mind is to exchange my 13" for a 27" iMac and sell my 24" LED ACD to make up for the cost difference and buy a cheap netbook to use at school.

    Anyone here in love with their 27" imac?
     
  10. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #10
    How many laptops and desktops have you switched in the past 12 months? lol...
     
  11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #11
    I've had my 2.26GHz mac pro for about 7-8 months but sold it off few weeks ago and I've had my 17" uMBP for 8 months as well (bought it near the same time).

    I came to the conclusion of having two computers is a waste since one or the other was more than sufficient to handle all my needs.

    But then the 17" uMBP is carried around campus all day so I grew tired of lugging it around for 6+ hours a day.

    I'm going to be either using the 13" uMBP that I already bought last week (using it right now) or exchange it for the 15" uMBP.

    So far I'm just leaning on keeping the 13".

    My only gripe is that when connected to the 24" LED ACD with 4 spaces and around 7 applications opened with vmware fusion, I could REALLY use the 9600m gt Card even though I'm using the 13" in clamshell mode... The animation from spaces and all of that is pretty slow, even scrolling kind of lags.
     

Share This Page