Moved my Time Machine disk to Airport and TM wants to start again from scratch. Why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Radioman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Radioman macrumors regular

I have now attached my Time Machine backup disk to the USB port on my Airport Extreme base and selected it as backup disk but it then started the whole backup again. Is there a way of just continuing with the existing backup on this disk?

I can look at the old backup from time machine by selecting the older backup manually but this option is most wasteful of space. It's the same disk connected to the same machine, why can't it just carry on?! :confused:

2. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

TM lacks some of the well thought out configurations needed for advanced users. My guess is you will have to start it off again

3. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I've done this as well and couldn't find a way to make it continue. I had to start fresh.

I think that, when attached to the APE, Time Machine backs up to a sparsebundle disk image. But when connected directly to the usb drive, no disk image is used. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Either way, I think you are gonna have to start over.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it really a PITA to start over? I would imagine that it would only be a matter of days before you would consider whatever changes you've made to be unnecessary to keep. Though it would be nice if TM would let you back up the actual backups and be seen. If that makes sense.

5. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose not, you are right a while down the line it won't matter and I can delete the older backups to free up space.

As some may remember I was last moaning on this subject when a new machine meant starting over! Oh well hopefully this will be the last time (machine)...

Anyway I'll set it off and go back to watching Apollo 11 stuff on Discovery HD :)