Moved to new home, now Airport Extreme doesn't work. How do I remedy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GhostMac24, May 30, 2013.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Just moved to a new home and the Airport Extreme isn't playing nice with the new home :(

I don't remember having to do anything during our last move a year ago. I just got to the new place, ordered my TWC internet, plugged in my Airport Extreme to the new modem and I was off and running. Now, I am getting an issue.

When I go into the Airport Utility it is saying....

Problem 1 of 2: Internet Connection. Says I don't have a valid IP address.

Problem 2 of 2: No DNS servers.

Any ideas what I am supposed to do to get this puppy back online?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Does the new modem/router have DHCP enabled? You have the ethernet cable attached between the devices properly? Router LAN port to Extreme's WAN port?

3. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Hmmmm, not sure about that. I'll have to see what's going on with the new modem (Moto 6141) as I don't recl having to do anything to the previous modems.

I can verify that all connections are proper and secure.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

did you have a computer connected directly to the modem before you hooked up the airport?
    if so you need to reboot the modem, they don't like when you change what's plugged into them.
    (even if you didn't a modem reboot couldn't hurt)

5. mace85 macrumors newbie

I only suggest this because it happened to me, and drove me mad until i figured it out. Make sure your ethernet cable doesn't happen to be a "crossover cable". They are usually clearly marked, but easy to glance over. I don't even know where in the hell I got one from, but somehow it ended up in my bin"o"cables.

6. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

D-oh! Looks like I have to post my "did you see if it was plugged in?" story .......

So, I reset the Airport many times (unplug and then power back up), verify all settings, etc. to no avail. And what was the culprit? Powering down and back up the modem. UGH.

waw74....you nailed and I totally forgot the TWC had a laptop plugged into in and then left without restarting to modem. Why is it always the most simple solution that we overlook? Thanks for your input!!!