Movie and Shows Album art/Posters

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BeefCake 15, Sep 15, 2015.

1. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I've been looking over having a Plex server lately but noticed the only thing I cared about having the Plex Server for was so I can get Album Art to show up when browsing my collection.

My set up is as follows:
    • Router with an attached external drive acting as a NAS/DLNA server (Tomato Firmware)
    • 2 Macs
    • 1 Win7 Desktop (just in case)
    • PS3 (PS4 soon to be)
    • LG Smart TV
    The Router with the DLNA media server hook up works just fine to serve up media on my TV and PS3 as I want it just fine but doesn't show any album art/posters etc.

I don't want to run a separate media server but was wondering if there is a way to scrap the metadata for these movies and shows in order for it to show through the DLNA clients.

It can be a Mac or Windows software if needed.

2. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

For the last 2 years all my movies and TV shows have been tagged by iDentify (paid app in App Store). It works by populating all the metadata using IMDB and some other sources for artwork.

It changes the file from .mp4 to .m4v. Everything is tagged just like an iTunes Product.

For TV shows there can be some work manually but it is nothing major and I often save time by editing Seasons in batches.

All of this I then store in iTunes, everything is tagged and plays on the iOS and Apple TV through the stock apps.

To work on the PS3/PS4 I use PS3mediastreamer (free) to share my iTunes library across my network. The Playstations only show the movie name and artwork, none of the iTunes metadata covering description, director or actors.

3. BeefCake 15 thread starter macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Thank you for the info! I'm trying to avoid having a media server running to be as energy efficient as possible and instead take advantage of the DLNA server setup through my router.

Do you know what type file and properties PS3/PS4 require to show the art work?

4. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I believe the process of iDentify turning the MP4 to an M4v embeds the artwork and metadata into the file. So as long as you use a player that can read the Mv4 file then it 'should' show the artwork. I tried it also on a Western Digital Media Player.

Additionally the server I prefer out of everything I tried is an iBook G4 with external 2TB hard drive, it is on OSX 10.5.8, running the most up to date version of iTunes for that system and uses homesharing to x2 iPhones, x2 iPads and x2 Apple TV 3's. I like re-using things that can still function well in the correct situation.

In terms of power usage I connected it to a power logger for a few months and the yearly average I worked out to be £13 GBP (So around 20 US Dollars) - so very low power! All my rips are 1080p, the iBook won't play the files but acts as a very good distributor.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I just wanted to comment that you rock for running Tomato. More people should use that.

What router do you use? And what mod do you use?

6. BeefCake 15 thread starter macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I'll try it out and see what happens, thanks!

:) I'm using Linksys E3000 which leaves Tomato Toastman as my only option which works great so far. I have VPN and a Media Server running off this thing with no issues so far!