[Movie/Book] The Fault in Our Stars

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thatoneguy82, Jun 14, 2014.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Anyone here read the book or watch the movie, The Fault in Our Stars? I watched it and then decided to read it afterwards. The movie actually followed the book fairly well and incorporated the same dialogue; I was pleased. Additionally, it was very engaging and provoking for a Young Adult book. All in all, I'm glad I took a chance, seeing as how I knew nothing about it until early this month. Also, I didn't realize I would get so emotional with both reading the book and watching the movie; probably having experienced death with my mom within the past year or it was just a really sad story.

And if it matters, I'm a 32y/o (gay) man. There was a good mixture of 13-65y/o male/female in the 8:30p Wednesday that I went to and I'd say 95-99% of them looked liked they were crying as they were leaving the theater. Also, the same percentage of "sniffles" were heard during the movie's sad parts.

Lastly... I did NOT expect that ending. (Spoiler:Augustus dying instead of Hazel)

2. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Just went and saw the movie last night. My gf started reading the book before we saw the movie but she didn't get finished with it. She said the movie followed the book almost exactly (up to the part she had read anyway) which makes sense. The story is pretty linear and there are not a lot of abstract scenes to deal with.

I am a fan of John Green. I use his videos in my classroom from time to time and would use them more if we covered the same works he discusses. He makes things easy to understand about literature without making it seem like he is "dumbing it down" for you. Also, his energy and passion in his videos really wakes the kids up and I think many start to realize you can really "get into" a book and the characters.

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of his books but I plan to in the coming months. With The Fault in Our Stars he makes a very difficult and adult situation/topic easily accessible to younger readers without piling on the sappy, cliche stuff you typically find in these stories (based on the movie). I think this is difficult to do, to emotionally engage young readers (especially hesitant readers) in the book's story and characters. These types of books help get kids interested in reading.

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yeah, the movie doesn't really change anything, which I really enjoyed. There are very minor changes, probably 3-5 scenes; and also some of the character descriptions. However, nothing that completely changes the story. It's good that he was there on-set the entire time, I suppose.

I looked him up afterwards and he seems to be a genuinely likable guy. And, I didn't realize that I actually had seen his videos before and that I actually knew who he was before knowing who he was. Also, it seems like he's a big YouTube star with his brother and partly responsible for the yearly vidcon.

Another thing, I found out that he started the book in 2000 and he didn't get it published until Jan 2012. That's a long time! And the movie started production around Summer 2013 - that's fast!