Movie trailer is edited due to the use of the word "Gay"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rhett7660, Oct 9, 2010.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I found this interesting.... The movie trailer for the movie "Dilemma" has been edited because of joke that is made at the beginning of the trailer that uses the word "gay".

Has anybody else heard of this? I thought it was funny and didn't give it a second thought because of what follows. I am curious as to what others think about this.

In case you can't find the trailer here is what is said:

Link: http://www.bittenandbound.com/2010/...-gay-slur-in-the-dilemma-movie-trailer-video/

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess you wont mind if I use the n word or kike when I mean something else?

It's going to suck anyway. It's a Vince Vaughn movie.

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

So, I am going out on a limb and thinking you don't like the use of the word?

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I never liked the use of "gay" as a pejorative.

When my kids were teenagers they used to say stuff like that all the time -- "this or that is so gay." I talked to them about it several times but they never could get what the big deal was.

Now that they're adults...well, I guess they figured it out, 'cause I never hear it from them anymore.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's put it this way, anyone who ever uses that word in a negative manner around me never does it again.

6. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I hear yeah. For some reason, I don't know if it was because of the way it came out in the trailer or who was saying it, I didn't take it in a negative way. However having said that, I can see how this could be offensive. I am wondering if they will leave it in the movie or if they will re-do or edit the word out.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's stupid that people do it, but it's rarely people over 15 in my experience. I haven't heard it used that way in ages, I think it's dying out.

8. Queso macrumors G4

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope so.

It's a Vince Vaughn movie. No one will go see it :)

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I don't get the big deal. The original origin of the word "gay" meant carefree or happy. It dates back to the middle ages and originated from a french term. It wasn't until the 1960s that it really hit off as an accepted term in the homosexual community.

In this case he is just using it to mean "lame". The homosexual community took it out of its original meaning but that doesn't mean they own it. If we want to get dead technical then the use of it in the homosexual community is out of context unless they are referring to each others feelings of carefreeness, which is fine, but other than that it isn't even being used correctly. If we want to get technical. Therefore Vince has just as much right to use it to mean lame as the homosexual community does to refer to their preferences and lifestyle.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

because he's so gay? :p

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Would Zorro, The Gay Blade be released in today's climate?? :rolleyes:

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

but why is it used to mean "lame" Are you really going to say it isn't using the word intentionally as a pejorative that equates homosexuals as lame?

I think that would be pretty, er, gay on your part :p

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Louis CK had an excellent scene in his TV series about this. That the word "gay" or the f word has been screamed at him in hatred. And that every time this word is used, it brings back these memories.

16. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I hope by that you mean that you would give them a stern talking to and not resort to physical violence, because there is never an excuse for the latter.

Fortunately I know few people who say such things, but I am always shocked when I hear someone speak in a bigoted way in front of me. I usually laugh (at them) because it seems so ridiculous.

With that said, people can be more cruel with how they say things rather than what they say specifically.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This is something that I think everyone in PRSI will agree on ;)

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

But I like Vince Vaughn movies

Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball, Swingers, The Lost World, I mean comeon, all quality flicks!

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are being disingenuous at best if you think that making a term long adopted as a term for homosexuals synonymous with being "lame" is anything but a slur on homosexuals.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I probably would if I knew wtf Vince Vaughn was.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

From the sound of it, you would probably wish you didn't.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I liked Wedding Crashers, some really funny moments in it I thought. Dodgeball was terrible though imo.

The use of the word 'gay' winds me up now. You can't go to any forum without hearing how some 'xxxx car brand is gay' or 'liking xxxx music is gay', even Apple are gay' apparently.

Where has the creativity gone in put downs. If the trailer used the word gay as a reference to homosexuality it wouldn't have been considered for editing. It was edited because it was an easy target for negative criticism no doubt.

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Apparently it hasn't been edited or pulled everywhere. My wife and I went to see The Social Network this afternoon, and this was the first trailer shown. It was exactly as described here.

24. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

This should get me flamed. It's just a word, you make it how you want to. I am a Jew, call me a kike all you want I don't give a damn. It's just a word. You can not allow a single word to hurt you, the more you let little things go like a word the more your cause can win and those idiots who truly use words to try and hurt and oppress will wither and die.

My point is, if you continue to allow the word to be perceived as hurtful or demeaning the more it will be used in that manner. IMO

*Edit* yes, Vince Vaughn makes horrible movies.

25. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

man that's so gay they edited it.

+1