Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Can someone shed some light on why there is only audio download available on the iTunes in Ireland. This is really annoying as I am soon to buy my first mac i thought I would give iTunes a look on my current PC desktop. It is a great site for everything except movies which are unavailable. I was also thinking about purchasing an iPad for my wife to watch movies but if she can not download tv or movies from iTunes it seems to make a huge part of iPads possible success here in Irelnad pretty redundant.
Is there any other way of maybe using iTunes from another country, or would anyone know of other sites for movies and tv downloads, and would it be possible to somehow download our own DVD's onto the iPad to watch.
Any information would be welcome, thanks guys and galls.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
We could be waiting a long time for any video options on the Irish iTunes store. Ireland's a small market, and for Apple it simply might not be worth the time, effort and cost involved in agreeing the licensing deals.

I think it's possible to buy content from the US store if you can get your hands on US iTunes vouchers, but have never tried it.

You can use a 3rd party app called Handbrake to rip your own DVDs and convert them to a suitable size/format for iPhone/iPad.

alonsorodregeez

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Hi,

Its because of licensing agreements with the Tv/Movie Studios, its also why Hulu , iPlayer etc do not work with ip addresses in ireland. Very annoying when you own an :apple:tv and can't rent or buy from itunes!

Hopefully the release of the iPad and its popularity will allow them to put movies and tv shows in all international iTunes stores.

In the meantime you can buy an iTunes gift Store card from the US and use that to purchase/rent video on iTunes in Ireland. If you know anyone over there who can send them over perfect! or else they sell them on ebay but buyer beware.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You can set up iTunes with a uk account which would allow what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.