Moving 40 gigs of music from mac to windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Forest91, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Hi all
    I need to move around 40 gigs of music from my MBP to a Toshiba laptop. I have no form of direct connection (firewire, ethernet cable etc) and only have my wireless network. I'm new to windows (can't stand it) and don't have a clue where to begin, but I need to get it done. Tried a search but didn't bring up much that I found helpful/could understand. Any assistance would be very much valued.
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can do it wirelessly via network: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704
    But 40GB will take you hours to copy via that.

If you can get your hands on a Firewire or LAN cable, it would go faster.

Or you can do the copying over night via W-LAN.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Get one.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

You could also try DVDs or an external HDD

Basically you go into your "Music" folder, and copy everything in there, then place it on the PC in the exact order it was on the mac. Hold "Shift" when opening iTunes on the PC, and "choose library". Point it to wherever you copied the library to, and it should open with all the songs, playlists, everything it had on the mac.

The way I did it with about 20GB of music, and DVDs is to make playlists named "artists A-D" then highlight all artists from A-D and drag it in. If it was about 4GB, I would leave it at that because my DVDs are only 4.7GB. If it was only 2GB, I would add another letter in, so "A-E", and see how much space that left me.

I continue this on until I know roughly how to split everything up so it will fit on the DVDs.

Then I open Finder, select my "Music" folder, "iTunes", then "iTunes Music". Now I can see all my artist folders where the actual music is stored. So the first DVD I burn will have all artists A-E (skip any that start with numbers, as those were at the end in the iTunes library).

I burn each section just like I split them up in iTunes, until I have all my music burned. I insert one more DVD and skip back to the "iTunes" folder, then burn everything in there except the "iTunes Music" folder (because I just burned it bit by bit).

Then I go onto a PC, insert the iTunes library DVD, and copy it to the PCs Music folder. I then create a folder inside it called "iTunes Music" to replace the one I left out when burning the library folder.

I then insert my other DVDs one by one, and copy all my music back to the "iTunes Music" folder, and everything is back in place, in the same order it was on the mac.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you do go the networking route and are running Leopard. Changing the workgroup name is different then in Tiger.

Though 40GB will be slow it is not too horrible if you have at least 802.11G on the laptops and router. Just keep them close to the router during the transfer. As the stronger the signal the quicker the maximum transfer rate. Don't you have an Ethernet cable between the router and modem you could borrow for a little while.

For workgroup names I do not know why but I have constantly had problems with shares being visible or Windows throwing insufficient priviliges errors with Admin accounts, even with fresh installs of Mac OS X and Windows XP through 7, using the MSHOME workgroup name. Other names for the workgroup work fine just not MSHOME. Even switching back to MSHOME would cause the errors to return. So choose some other name for your workgroup than the XP default of MSHOME.

6. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Firewire from PC to Mac is not worth your time to set it up becuase natively windows doesn't support direct connecting FW. It's a complex process to setup.

If you have a home network, I'd suggest using a router with ethernet connections to connect them via ethernet cable.

After that install, an FTP client on the PC such as FileZilla and setup your mac for the connection.

On the mac all you need to do is open System Preferences > Sharing and check the file sharing box, then choose "options" from the bottom right corner. I find you have to check all 3 boxes. and then the box next to your user name in the list at the bottom. It will prompt you for a password.

At this point, you can go back to FileZilla, and in the connection info box at the top enter john-smiths-imac.local then put in your username and your password. Your stuff on the mac will show on one side of filezilla and your pc will be on the other. Simply drag and drop.

Ethernet cables are cheap if you don't have them. If you have wireless, your router should have ethernet ports on the back.

Also....why are you switching to Windows?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

RE:
    "I need to move around 40 gigs of music from my MBP to a Toshiba laptop"

There have been various suggestions posted already, I'll add mine.

If you've got 40 gigs of music, I suggest you consider backing it up. Lose what's on your computer, and you've lost 40 gigs.

Why not get an external hard drive (if you don't already have one, you _should_ have one for backups), and "copy over" the music to the hard drive?

You can then copy it again to the Toshiba, and retain what's on the hard drive as an external backup.

If iTunes won't do it, try YamiPod, or floola.

- John