Moving Countries, keep my apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Optimus Rhyme, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

I'm moving from Canada to England. What I'm hoping is that I can just enter my new address into iTunes, enter an iTunes gift card number as I won't have a credit card initially, and that's about it. Will I be able to update my old apps that I've purchased without a problem, and purchase new ones all on the same account or will I have problems and will iTunes ask me to login to the Canadian App Store to update my older apps?

I'm not looking to start a new account up, and I want to use the same email address.

I've seen some people saying it will work without an issue and I've seen people saying they've had problems with this.

Anyone know?

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

You'll be fine. You don't need to make a new iTunes account. Just change your region (from Canada to England) and put in an English address. If you aren't going to use some sort of debit/credit card, you can use English iTunes Store gift cards.

Assuming you do end up using the English iTunes/App Store in a few months, you'll update apps from both regions no problem.

Personal experience, I'm using the US iTunes/App Store but I some times switch to the Japanese app store to get an app that isn't released in the US app store (usually apps are released in every region, but there ARE a couple that exist only in Japanese app store).

One problem you may potentially encounter is iTunes support stopping your account from purchasing apps until you email them to unlock your account. This usually happens if you're using the English iTunes/App Store with a Canadian Credit/Debit card or vice versa. The best way to go about this is gift cards.

3. Optimus Rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the reply.

I wont be switching back to the Canadian app store, I'll just be using the UK store going forward. I would have to use the gift cards at first though as I won't be able to setup a credit card for a while.