Moving cross country in a 2 door civic. What would YOU bring?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DarthTreydor, Mar 17, 2009.

1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

So next month I'm picking up and moving from the east coast to portland, or. I'm driving my car (a 98 civic coupe) and struggling to fit my entire life into such a tiny car. I'm moving into an unfurnished room but taking furniture isn't really an option. I'll just have to deal with that when I get there. Here's what I know is coming with me so far:

Dog (miniature dachshund, real little)
    Computer stuff (mac pro, macbook, monitor, hdd's, accesories)
    2 guitars
    Audio gear (monitors, rack effects, mics, interface, etc.)
    A couple bags of clothes
    A whole bunch of cigarettes

If you were in my position, what would you take with you? I don't really need advice since my car's pretty much full as it is. Just curious what others would do.

EDIT: upon request, pics of the copilot added. his name is spaceship

Attached Files:

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You could Fedex some stuff, e.g. clothing, unbreakables, etc.

A pic of the dachshund would be appreciated by many. ;)

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red or Blue (or Gameboy Emulator on iPhone w/pokemon.rom)

amazing how much of a simple game i played while young can keep you buys and make a trip fly by.

MacBook + iPhone and surf the internet (if you have someone else to take turns while driving)

i went on a 12 hour car ride down to FL and a 12 hour car ride back up here.

on the way down i played pokemon and got very far (only for my autosave to be deleted by my girlfriend on accident)

and then i went on MacRumors, Facebook, Craigslist, eBay and Wikipedia on the way back home. shot off a couple email to my prof's and had a great time.

oh and i made a ringtone for my iPhone by Minus the Bear (song titled Knights)

and i know you didn't mean for the car ride. but with an iPhone, MacBook - and a few clothes. what more could you need?

don't forget the soda

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Or for things that you don't need right away, you could use surface mail with the USPS. Fairly cheap.

Another option would be to get a U-Haul type truck and tow the Civic. Can take more that way and may save funds in the long run. Would have to do a cost analysis to see which way was best.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Civic is not a tiny car, especially if it's the saloon version that I see Americans naming "Civic" so often.

6. Lau Guest

I moved from one end of the country to the other a while ago (and had to throw out or leave everything I didn't take)

I took stuff that:

- I absolutely loved
    - I knew I would definitely use
    - I would just have to buy again at the other end

It fitted in a car. Just. ;)

It was a really great thing to do and really made me think about what possessions I loved and what I needed. You could ship some things, but it was really liberating to just go for it and really cut down.

7. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

I may end up shipping some things. Though probably not too much, as I like the idea of drastic downsizing.

As far as the dog pics go, it'll have to wait till I'm off work. But I do love to show him off.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What would I bring? Luckily all my junk is very portable.

-Teh girlfriend.
    -My collection of handheld consoles (everything from Nintendo and Sony) and all the games for them.
    -MacBook, external monitor, external drives, printer, 360 controller, Razer mouse.
    -iPods, cameras and other small gizmos.
    -I'd rip the DVDs I like to a HDD so I would only bring a few DVD's with me.
    -5 most worn jeans, shirts, jumpers, jackets. 2 pairs of shoes (posh and hiking). Beanie or 2. 3 bottles of aftershave.
    -Sketchbooks, few books.
    -DVD backup library.
    -Paracetamol, ibuprofen, Sensodyne, lavendar oil, toothbrush.
    -Few old heirlooms.
    -Alarm clock :)

I'd leave my current iMac and use it as an excuse to buy a new one. Maybe get a new guitar and keyboard too.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I moved from the US to the UK. Nothing like a change in continents to really make you thin down your possessions.

I sent a lot of things in the mail to be here when I arrived and paid a hefty fee to have big heavy items baggage checked on the plane ride over. Thieves. I didn't see the 400 pound man in front of me being charged for extra weight.

Anyway…
    Anyone doing a big move should think carefully about what their stuff really means to them. I went by the Fight Club theory of "the things you own end up owning you." and found that I didn't need nearly as much stuff as I thought I did over the years. In fact I could have taken less, especially clothes. Why did I bring all that crap?

I don't know what I'd bring now, I don't want to think about it. Moving sucks. :p

10. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

It might not be tiny by European standards but it is definitely small. The later model ones are bigger than the late 90s versions. Plus the 2 doors make it awkward to fit anything big.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG]

12. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Here in Northern Ireland, the saloon version of the Civic is also a Civic. Not sure what you mean by that comment? Unless you're thinking of the Accord, which is a totally different car.

Plus, OP, if it's tiny by American standards, it's definitely tiny by European standards ;)

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Only stuff I carried on way-too-many moves was stuff the movers would not carry. And they have a long list!
    Anyway, pack like you're taking an airplane trip, then add your personal stuff... good luck!

14. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

done. my apologies for the delay. :)

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Considering you are in the Eastern Time Zone, the apology is mine. I was 5 minutes early, not even allowing for your trip home and power-up time. :eek:

EDIT: Ah, I see the pics now in your first post.

Wow, he does set his sights high, does he not? I hope the horse didn't kick him afterwards, somewhat in the manner of a Black Widow spider??

EDIT REDUX: Hang on, that's not a horse. Yikes, he is tiny isn't he. lol

16. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I've done this a couple times in an '86 Mustang Hatchback. I went to Florida from Seattle, then after a year I realized I hate humidity and moved back to Seattle. Both times the move was executed less than 24 hours after deciding to move.

I first packed all the electronics I wanted to keep, then my tools, cd's and DVD's. Next was car parts(I'm a car guy) then my clothes were used to pack everything in nice and tight.

The first pic is my car packed before heading off to Seattle. My alternator died along the way and the second pic is me stopped at a parts store and how much crap I had to get out of the car to get tot he battery that had been moved to the back seat years ago.

Attached Files:

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

18. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Great to have pictures - 'cause that's a serious memory maker!!

19. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

whoa that is impressive. i like the use of the clothes to cushion everything else. lol