Moving Drive In The Middle of Downloading Torrents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spitboy2000, Nov 9, 2007.

1. spitboy2000 macrumors member

How do I trick my torrent app (transmission) to keep on downloading incomplete torrents once i move the files to a different drive? When I was using azureus this was quite difficult. Do I need to clone the drive? Create a disk image? etc...

Thanks! I'm taking out my 250gb hd for a 750gb hd but don't want to start my torrents over again!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I haven't used Transmission, but in Azureus if you pointed a torrent download to a folder with a partially complete file of the same name, it would assume it was for the same torrent and automatically check that file to take up where it left off.

Important question would be whether it's your boot drive or not. If it is, then a clone to the new one is safest--guaranteed to work fine.

If not, it will depend somewhat on how Transmission identifies locations, but probably if you copy the file(s) with the same directory structure to the new drive, remove the old drive and rename the new drive so that it's got exactly the same name as the old, then Transmission will probably assume it's the same (based on the path) and take up where it left off. I forget what OSX does with the /volumes directory if you rename a drive in the finder, so a restart might be worth it after you rename it to be sure.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay, I was using transmission for a while, but then i decided to switch to uTorrent via parallels.

In uTorrent it is actually quite straight forward to change the download location (well, you do have to go into the advanced menu, aside from that, it's easy).

I have thought of a better way. Just delete the torrent from Transmission. Move the data files to the other drive. Then open the torrent file for those files, and direct Transmission it to the place you just copied it to. Transmission will start doing a hash check on the file, and once that's done you're good to go.

4. spitboy2000 thread starter macrumors member

SOLVED:

Transmission has a lovely command that is "Move Data File To" under FILE -- you do it for all your torrents, then you can trash old disc.

:D