Moving files from iTunes to SD for dsi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onthegogirl1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. onthegogirl1 macrumors newbie

Hi. My daughter has a dsi and I have a Mac with tons of music on it. I need to get the music on the SD card and I'm having a terrible time. First of all, I converted the files, which I believe were MP3's or 4's because I purchased most of them from iTunes, into AAC files (no idea what that stands for but that's what I did, as suggested on a forum). Then, supposedly the next step is to be able to just drag them to the SD card and you're golden. Except in my case, it won't do it. With any of them. Not with them selected individually or as a package deal. And now I'm worried that I've messed them up with converting them....will I still be able to listen to them on my iPhone when I sync them over? Or is there now going to be an issue with that? Can someone please help me get this figured out so I can let my daughter listen to her music and so that I can be reassured my music is safe?? : )

2. KFujiwara macrumors member

KFujiwara

What happens when you try to drap and drop them onto the SD card? I've done this a lot with the 3DS and DSi and never had this problem. Even protected music would copy over but would be unplayable on the system.

When you converted the files, did you keep the original versions? The DSi/XL/3DS can read unprotected music purchased from iTunes without any conversion since those are already AAC audio files.
    As long as you have the original versions you could always create a folder on your Desktop where the converted music stays and delete them from iTunes so only your original files are stored in the iTunes folder.

3. onthegogirl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still searching

Whenever I highlight them and then drag them to the "no name" icon for the SD card, once in that area, a symbol appears with a slash through it....you know, the ones that alert you that this or that isn't allowed? Like, "no smoking"....that kind of sign. Circle with an angled line through it.....I don't know. ?? Now that I've converted these songs though, can I make them go back to the original way they were? iTunes didn't create a separate area for them to go....they just look the same as they always did but must have the conversion since I know I did it. ??? Can you think of anything else I could do to make this work and/or fix what I've done?

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Try dragging them to the desktop.

Then drag them from the desktop to the SD card.

Itunes can be very funny dragging music to other sources.

They stopped all drag and drop from Itunes to toast.

But you could still do as above.

5. KFujiwara macrumors member

KFujiwara

Even though you converted the songs, you should still have the original versions viewable through iTunes, unless you manually deleted them. Converting music doesn't change the version you had originally; it creates a copy in the format you converted it to.
    Double-check to make sure the SD card's lock switch isn't pressed down. If it is, the card can only be read by a computer. Flip the switch on the side of the card up to unlock it. This should allow you to copy the music over.