Moving from 2008 Unibody MB to 2011 MBA - What to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stead, Aug 3, 2011.

1. stead macrumors newbie

I want a new laptop, moving from my 2008 Unibody MacBook. It is the 2.4 with 4GB of RAM. It should be my secondary computer, but haven't really be using it as such. I have a somewhat neglected 20" 2.4 4GB 2008 iMac sitting here, and intend to use that more - well I have been using it more the last month or so. I also intend to upgrade the ram to 6GB.

So I've been thinking of getting a new (2011) base MBA to replace my MacBook. I will be treating it as my secondary computer, and the lighter weight would be appreciated.

Considering the SSD and newer processors, how would it compare in performance to the MacBook?

For less money than the air I could get the base MBP, but I'm thinking it would be overkill and the weight of it would still be there.

What would you do? Thanks! :)

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Personally, as a secondary computer I'd get this model:

11" MacBook Air
    1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    64GB Flash Storage

It should outperform your MB and do it without blowing the bank.

3. EmbraceNext macrumors member

I don't know how large of a screen you need. So depending on that, get the $1199 11inch or the $1299 13inch.

11-inch : 128GB
    1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    processor
    4GB memory
    128GB flash storage
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

13-inch : 128GB
    1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    processor
    4GB memory
    128GB flash storage
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

4. solowmodel macrumors 6502

What would you be using it for?

Have you considered selling both your MB and iMac and just working with a 13" MBA?

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

is your Macbook still working? I have the same one and it's still running great.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Did you read that before posting?

But I would suggest an 11 inch with 4 gigs of RAM and a 128gb hard drive. Or the Pro, as that would be a better overall computer for LESS money, which is pretty damn rational IMO.

The MBP is pretty slim as it is; I can put my index finger along the side and the laptop (when closed) is the same size as my finger. The MBA is thin but with the pro being as thin and light as it is, there really isn't a reason not to get it.

People get caught up in design rather than functionality, value, and just plain common sense. Of course, it's all personal preference, however for a lot of users getting new computers, there's really no reason to get an Air when they could get a better Pro for the same or less.

7. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

Please listen to this guy, macbook pros are very portable as is and macbook airs are plain unnecessary, i can see the market but at the same time the mbp will give you muc more bang for your buck and will even last much longer than the macbook air

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Update the firmware of the late 2008 MBP, upgrade to 8 GB and get an SDD and you have a faster machine that can run Lion pretty well.
    Or as others have mentioned sell both machines, get a newer one + a big size monitor.
    I am nostalgic with old Macs and I will not sell my late 2008 unibody MBP as it can run Snow Leopard pretty well and I still have some Rosetta Games that I will never get tired of playing.
    Maybe with he new ones and virtualization they will run, but I value my first unibody MBP as a jewel, even the battery life really sucks.