Moving from 4s to 5. Does iCloud store all text messages and voicemail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I moving from a 4s to a 5. Does iCloud store all text messages (regular and iMessage) and voicemails? Will these populate on the new phone automatically when I restore from my iCloud account?

2. dawideksl macrumors regular

dawideksl

icloud itself doesn't store that. maybe your phone archive in icloud do, but i'm not sure. If you will setup your iphone as new, you will get mail, safari, notes and others from icloud, but not your texts or voicemail.

3. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

iCloud doesn't store voicemail and text messages. I think your carrier stores your voicemails , not apple.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iCloud stores text messages, iMessages, etc.

5. dawideksl macrumors regular

dawideksl

in icloud's phone archive. if you'll setup you iphone "as new" it's gone. tested.

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

These is incorrect information. iCloud stores your texts and even your half-written texts.

7. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Why would you go from 4s to a 5 and not get a 5S? Just curious

8. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

I went from 4s to 5

I just went from a 4s to a 5 last month. I had a 4s on Sprint, and I wanted to port to Verizon because Sprint was terrible, and I did not want the 5c, and by the time I traded in my two 4s's I had enough to get two 5's on contract for 99 each. I was able to get two Speck candy shell cases and it paid my activation fees.

Whereas if I bought the 5s I would have to pay out of pocket for activation and some of the phone, and I was desperate to get off of Sprint it was a nightmare. Plus the 5 is much faster than 4s in my opinion, its an excellent phone, and I surprisingly have much better battery life with my 5 compared to my 4s.

And iCloud backs up pretty much everything unless you switch carriers your voicemails will carry over, but if you switch voicemails are the only thing you won't get back, all texts and imesssages will be preserved.

9. SA Spyder macrumors regular

How's that a problem?

10. LV426 macrumors 6502a

There are a few misleading posts above.

iCloud will store all your text messages at the point where you do an iCloud backup. As you may know, it stores a ton of other stuff in the backup as well, so when you do a restore your phone is virtually identical to the one you had before in terms of its configuration.

My own recent experience of moving from a 4s to a 5s was that it did the initial restore (in the Apple store) in just a few minutes. Enough to get the phone and messages working. The rest of the stuff took several hours to complete, when I got home.

If you have thousands of images to restore, it's going to take a while.

I was in the situation where the phone immediately reported an iOS update was available, and that it was already downloaded. However, the option to install it was greyed out during the restore process. The complete restore seemed to be quite leisurely, as the WiFi wasn't in use 100% of the time.

Just mentioning this in case anyone thinks their restore has failed because it's not over in an hour. It should complete, but might take quite a while to do it.

11. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife is upgrading and I'm taking her old sprint 5. I would keep my sprint 4s (still good battery life after 2+ years, and no major damage after an uncountable number of drops) for a while longer and sell her 5 but my 4s has pretty poor service in Chicago and the 5's LTE should hopefully help a little.

I'd like to clarify, does iCloud store all messages or just iMessages? Is it possible to back up all text messages to iTunes on my Mac before switching to the new phone?

What is the best third party freeware for removing voicemails. Is iexplorer a good choice?

12. golfnut1982, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

Does Sprint have Visual Voicemail? If it does, the here is a link to Apple's Support...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books
    Photos and videos in your Camera Roll

Device settings

App data

Home screen and app organization

iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages

Ringtones

Visual Voicemail

The above is also stored in your iPhone backup.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just to add to this: the one thing iCloud will not store Is voicemail. Your voicemail is stored by the carrier, and might get erased when you restore to a new phone. Every time I restore from backup, my voicemails are gone.