Moving from a family plan to a shared plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshinho, Sep 13, 2012.

1. joshinho macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm new, but I looked around a bit but couldn't see a thread matching my specific question. Hope someone can offer some guidance (a bit last minute, I know).

Right now, I'm on an individual plan (AT&T) and my girlfriend is on family plan with her sister and aunt (AT&T also). She is not the primary account holder (but we have the information to log in). We'd like to move onto one of the new shared data plans. We're also both eligible for upgrades to the iPhone 5, which we want to upgrade to.

What is the simplest way to do this? Pre-order the phones under current plans and then switch plans? (Except then we've just agreed to new 2-year plans, would they let us switch?) Or should we wait to order the phones, get the plans straightened out, and then upgrade? (Similarly, would switching plans affect our eligibility?)

Because of conflicting work schedules next weekend we probably won't be able to pick up in-store together, so I'm leaning towards getting them shipped. Would this affect anything?

Sorry for so many questions. If there's something really simple I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes the best option is to pre-order using your current information and lines since you are eligible for an upgrade on both lines. Once you have activated both new iPhone 5 devices, you can then call AT&T Customer Care at 611 or go to an AT&T Corp retail location and combine your 2 lines into a new account if you really want the new Mobile Shared data plan.

AT&T does not care what you do about moving lines between accounts, the fact that you have 2 new 2 year contracts are not an issue and AT&T will be happy to assist you.

Just remember that your GF is not in control of her line it belongs to the primary account holder so either her Mom or Aunt will need to be involved to start a Transfer of Responsibility for your GF's line to allow you to move it to a different account.

Dave

3. joshinho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the insight, Dave. Have a good night! (And good luck to you if you're staying up to do some pre-ordering...)

Josh