Moving from dedicated camera to iPhone 11 pro

LiE_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Funny enough, I was watching a video related to this just 5 mins ago.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about above. In less than ideal lighting, the iPhone sensor cannot produce photos anywhere near the dedicated camera.

You tell me which one is which.

cruise-2019-4.jpeg

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Here's an example of what I'm talking about above. In less than ideal lighting, the iPhone sensor cannot produce photos anywhere near the dedicated camera.

View attachment 882907
It won’t be fair for me to comment as I’m viewing this on the phone but I’ll go with the red jumper on Fuji and the T-shirt on iPhone?!

But if I’m correct then the comparison is u fair given the distance from subject and light source / angle being different in both pictures.

LiE_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
It won’t be fair for me to comment as I’m viewing this on the phone but I’ll go with the red jumper on Fuji and the T-shirt on iPhone?!

But if I’m correct then the comparison is u fair given the distance from subject and light source / angle being different in both pictures.
The other way round 😋

Yea it's by no means a proper test, just to me and the photos I take it's night and day which is which on a larger screen. On a phone it masks the noise and lack of detail in the red jumper photo.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
The other way round

Yea it's by no means a proper test, just to me and the photos I take it's night and day which is which on a larger screen. On a phone it masks the noise and lack of detail in the red jumper photo.
Oops yeah it doesn’t look bad on the phone screen and I’m too lazy right now to put it up on the big screen.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra
These comparisons are harder to make on forums due to the way images are processed after posting. I always notice some loss of sharpness in whatever I post.

Reactions: akash.nu

Ledgem

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA

The difference was clear to me viewing on my 27" retina iMac, but I also note that the iPhone seems like it missed focus on the top photo. If you look at the background (and the person whose backside is in the photo) the photo quality appears better. I'm not sure if it would have been more difficult if the focus were correct on the first one.

Reactions: kallisti

||\||

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2019
Computational tech in mobile phones is unlikely to equal or surpass a quality dedicated camera anytime soon. You just can't beat the physics of light ATM. If one understands the inherent strengths of what makes a quality camera necessary to photographers, it's sill fairly easy to pick out the phone image.