Moving from Montreal to Miami with a Telus iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by backbraker25, Aug 1, 2012.

1. backbraker25 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I need a little help here, I have my daughter moving to Miami from Montreal for the next 9 months. She’s currently at the end of her term with Telus and her iPhone will be unlocked at the conclusion. She’s planning on taking the iPhone with her and using a carrier down there.

She mostly uses text messages, iMessages and Skype to communicate. So, I figure she will need a decent data & international text plan, voice is not really that important to her.

Can someone recommend a proper carrier in FL with decent data & text plans? She consumes on average ~2 GB/month.

As well, will she be able to take her phone to any carrier? Telus is on a CDMA network.

Thanks in advance

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Hey, Being from Canada and frequently traveller to USA Here is your best answer:

1) Telus used to be CDMA only, They Launched their GSM Network Years back around iPhone 3G/3GS days which offers 3G-4G and LTE Service now so All iPhone Currently Sold and Used in Canada are GSM Versions only, Unlike in USA Where you can buy a specifically CDMA version of iPhone 4 and 4S which only operates on Verizon Network. So now Telus & Bell are Officially GSM(3G-4G-LTE) and CDMA Operators but their CDMA division is only being used mainly by Virgin and Koodo (as well as Solo-Mobile which shut down)

2) She can use StraightTalk Which Costs $45/Month All Inclusive
    - Unlimited Talk, Text[incl to Canada]
    - Caller-ID and Voicemail
    - 3G Data
    - ~2.5GB of Data although they say its Unlimited but to be safe never go over 2.5GB in a single month)
    - Great coverage as it runs off of AT&T Network but isnt owned by them and is a Prepaid Service so no contracts or anything.

3) Straight Talk Micro-SIM costs $15 so its best to order it before she leaves, that way she can have it waiting for her when she reaches Miami.

3. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

Wow... thank you so much for the prompt and concise response! I will look into that. It sounds precisely what I was look for! Again ... Thank you!

4. keystoneuser macrumors member

That sounds like the best recourse. I am only a couple hours from Miami on the Gulf side (Cape Coral). AT&T has surprisingly good coverage down here (I just moved here a couple weeks ago), not once have I seen the E, just 4G (which unfortunately is actually 3G, but better than edge at least).

So basically, coverage wise, she is covered.