Moving from old MacPro to new 13"…storage/workflow strategy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JungleNYC, Nov 18, 2016.

1. JungleNYC macrumors member

I currently have 4 internal drives, all 3TB, and all about 2/3+ full. Aside from my bootHD this is stuff like my iTunes library, Photos, Movies, Logic stuff, Final Cut Stuff, etc. All of my external drives are FW800, daisy-chained. …Downsizing to such a small HD is daunting!

A couple (maybe dumb) questions about workflow and storage:

1) Is there an easy/smart way I can use WiFi to access all these files and documents, that will now have to all be on external drives?

2) Can I still use my FW800 drives, daisy-chained, by simply using a TB3 dongle? Ideally I'd like to only plug one thing in each time I dock.

3) I'm probably getting the LG5k monitor, if that helps with anything?

ANY advice or suggestions on how to change my workflow would be much appreciated!

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

I don't know of any USB-C/TB3 to FW 800 dongles. There is TB2 - FW800 and TB3 - TB2 so you'd have to chain dongles to get to FW800. I'm not sure I'd trust that to be reliable, though. It may be better to find USB-C enclosures to move the existing external drives to. For the internal drives a single multiple drive enclosure may work better.

I don't know much about using WiFi for accessing the drives. I wouldn't recommend it, since it will be much slower than what you have now. If you want to do it, you'd probably be best off using the old MacPro as the server to the laptop.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

They make WiFi enclosures so you could put your drives in those. Never used them before so don't know how reliable they are -- I guess it depends on how reliable the WiFi signal in the home or office is. I wouldn't trust my own WiFi network to important data myself.

TB3 is compatible but adapters are not inexpensive plus another point for something to go wrong. It might be more reliable and cost efficient, and faster for sure, to just get new TB3 or USB-C enclosures. FW800 has had its day anyway. Good time to let go. Transitions like this are not just a bitch, but hellaexpensive too. But usually worth it once they are done.

4. JungleNYC thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm prepared (mentally, and financially) to make that jump. It's weirdly difficult to find those enclosures though. Is USB 3.1 what I should be looking for? This whole interface thing has become confusing :\

5. theitsage macrumors 6502a

Download Server app to turn your Mac Pro tower into a storage server.