Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yano729

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Hey hows it goin everyone. I know there are a ton of topics already about this topic but I didnt want to go through all of them and I really just want a solution to this so I can get underway. My music collection is very important to me and can not afford to lose it all. I have a western digital hd connected to my airport extreme that I use to back up wirelessly. I want to take my 180 gigs of music and put it on my external and then be able to play/stream it though my itunes library while I am on my home network. Im not sure what to do. I have tried moving my itunes to my external and then changing the file location to the external but it never seems to work. I would really appreciate it someone could help me out step by step wise. Would be really helpful if someone wanted to sign on skype or ichat and talk me through it. Thanks again guys and girls.

yano729

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
anyone? please, Im really desperate. I need to download a very large daw program. I would really appreciate it.

yano729

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
never mind got it to work, thanks guys

Last edited:

MandaS

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Indianapolis,Indiana
I'm having the sane problem with getting my iphotos onto my external hd and no one will help me either even though everytime I read up I dont get a straight solution :(

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I'm having the sane problem with getting my iphotos onto my external hd and no one will help me either even though everytime I read up I dont get a straight solution :(

If it is like iTunes, then you need to find the iphoto library.
It should be in /Users/<Your name>/Pictures and looks like a folder named iPhoto Library.

Copy that 'file' (it's really a directory) to your external hard drive. It may take a while.

Now hold 'option' and launch iPhoto.

You should get a popup asking you which photo library you want to use.
Browse to the 'file' you pasted onto your new hard drive.

Done.

Once you've verified that worked, then you can delete the original file to reclaim the space.

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
Someone on here pointed out an application called Tunespan. It works great for managing a large iTunes library across internal and external drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.