Moving iTunes library from PC to NAS then accessing Music on NAS from new MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dtos01, Aug 7, 2012.

1. dtos01 macrumors newbie

I am having a hard time figuring out how to move my iTunes Library from my old PC to my NAS... I have a new Retina MBP and want the MBP iTunes to be able to access the music stored on the NAS (and keep the music files on the NAS).

On my PC I have Consolidated iTunes files and copied the entire iTunes folder to the NAS from My Music on the PC... (the MAC is replacing the PC).

What do I do with the MacBook to be able to have iTunes see and play the music on the NAS?

Do I delete any of the folders in the iTunes main folder on the NAS?

Doesn't "consolidate" put a copy of your music into the iTunes Media folder? I don't want to have doubles of all my music on the MAC since the files may also be in the iTunes Music folder...

What do I need to get rid of?

Argh!

2. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Sounds like all you need to do now is hold down option key while opening iTunes on the mac, point to your new library file on the NAS, and then go to Preferences->Advanced, and choose the new location of your library (the NAS.)

Do you want music you add on the mac to go directly to the NAS? If so, open Preferences, go to advanced tab, and choose the NAS as the location of all your media files.

I have my entire iTunes library on my NAS, and it works well. Be sure the NAS is mounted prior to opening iTunes when you get it all set up!

Good luck!

3. dtos01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the tips! Will try tonight.... wondering if I will have doubles of everything because I "consolidated" the library?

4. flounder21 macrumors member

I am trying to do the same thing but it itunes library file not found? I am a bit confused on how to obtain one. Any help on that?
    TIA