Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsilver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
New York
I had to move my itunes library off my start-up drive because of space limits. I also deleted all music files duplicating the ones in the itunes folder. Now each time I try to play a song, a dialog comes up saying it cannot be found, would I like to find it.

So I do so by going to the new itunes library -song by song -over a thousand.

does anyone know if there is a more macro way to relink all the songs in the library to their files in itunes?

Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
hsilver said:
I had to move my itunes library off my start-up drive because of space limits. I also deleted all music files duplicating the ones in the itunes folder. Now each time I try to play a song, a dialog comes up saying it cannot be found, would I like to find it.

So I do so by going to the new itunes library -song by song -over a thousand.

does anyone know if there is a more macro way to relink all the songs in the library to their files in itunes?

Thanks.
If you don't mind losing all the statistics iTunes generates as well as your ratings, the easiest method is to re-import everything from the new iTunes library. You'll need to tell iTunes not to copy files from the new library to your user folder on your startup disk, otherwise you'll have the same problem all over again. I don't know of any other methods - perhaps an AppleScript might work?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
check iTunes preferences. under advanced, i believe, there is a way for you to specify the default iTunes folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.