Moving iTunes movies/TV shows to external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jnyepu, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnyepu macrumors member

Dumb noobie question. Originally posted in the Mac Basics section and lots of views but no help, so thought I'd try here. (My apologies to the moderators, haven't figured out how to remove my OP in the other section of the forums).

I want to move movies/shows I have watched from my internal HDD to my external HDD to free up space. What do I need to do to do this so that iTunes knows where the files are and free up the space on my internal HDD?

Thanks!

2. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Go to iTunes, preferences, advanced, under the general tab, there is a place to change where your music is saved. Change the location to your new HD, make sure both the check boxes are checked for "keep music organized" and "copy music to library". I think it will either move the files right then or present you with an option/box to click to do it. If it does not, then after closing preferences, in the advanced pull-down, select "consolidate library", and iTunes will do all the moving for you.

3. jnyepu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for the instructions. Is there any way to just store movies/shows/video separately to the external HDD while keeping the music on the internal HDD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.