Moving multiple phones from AT&T to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ycoidi2000, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

I have decided to make the jump from my unlimited AT&T to Verizon with both my iPhone and my wife's. To prepare for the joyous occasion, I tried to do a dummy order apple.com to see how the process works. I see that I can enter my current number to port over while creating a new Verizon account. When I try a second phone, I seem to have to go through the same process (selecting a new family share account, etc.). I see no way of linking the two phones to the same new account.

Has anyone had experience with this in the past? Is there a better way to purchase them?

Thanks!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

try doing the dummy purchase through verizon.com and see if it works.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do it separately for both iPhones then call Verizon up to merge the accounts. They do it all the time.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Hope it all works out for you. Assume you have already checked out coverage, contract, pricing, etc.

Not saying ATT or Verizon is better. Actually, I think they have similar problems and issues.

5. ycoidi2000 thread starter macrumors member

Yep. For my area, we have solid LTE for Verizon and 3G for AT&T. I'm more rural than most areas, so I feel lucky I am getting LTE! I will be switching away from unlimited AT&T, but I never really hit the virtual cap. I know I'll be spending more with Verizon, but the faster LTE on my Verizon iPad in addition to getting a signal at work on my iPad and not on my iPhone pretty much sealed it.

6. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

I'm actually doing the same thing as you but will be doing it at a store to ensure that all goes well. For me the signal is the most important thing and Verizon has a better one on the east coast. I'll be leaving Unlimited for 6GB per month and will save around $40/month. The benefit of having the Hotspot feature is also great. The reality is that I use most of my data when on wifi so our joint account has rarely crossed 1.5GB per month. I figure 3GB/month should be plenty. I hate giving up unlimited but I really need a better calling signal.