Moving to California, do I have to change my number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crawn2003, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I'm moving to California in two weeks.

Do I have to change my area code to the (707) for Northern California?? I really don't want to lose my xxx-xxxx number!

~Crawn

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. There is no law or even ethical standard. But know your new Cali friends will have to call long distance and your phone may not have free LD.
    If I had xxx-xxx-xxxx as my number I wouldn't want it changed either! It's dirty.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You don't have to, but nationwide long distance is probably a good idea.

4. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

XXX, I should make it California then! LOL!

~Crawn

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, I requested that for my number as well, but it was already taken.:p

You don't have to change it. The only thing I'd look out for is that you might be paying more state and fed taxes on your bill than you would in CA. On second thought, it's CA so I'm sure all the taxes are higher unless you're moving from NY.;)

6. calvy macrumors 65816

Los Angeles is full of cell phones with area codes from all over the country. I know of one individual who doesn't even have her car registered in CA, it's still registered in TX.

If you decided to have your area code changed, you most likely will lose your 7 digit phone number and have to get something else. Also, don't worry about your new friends. Most of your friends will have cell phones that can call long distance with no additional fees.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Which is illegal.
    Worry about your new friends...it's polite. ;)

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Only if the friend switched her residency to CA (and more specifically longer than 30 days ago). Otherwise, it's still legit.

I do back up the "be polite" idea though.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) You do not have to change your number, in fact, some companies consider it a canceling of your contract and the creation of a new one (including cancelation fee) to do it.

2) Since all iPhone plans are national, you don't have to worry about your long distance, but your friends may not be able to call you often. You could get an extra local line.

TEG