iPhone X Moving to employer subsidized phone and need some input - from 6 to. .8 or X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancebaby, Apr 9, 2018.

1. lancebaby, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

lancebaby macrumors newbie

Hey. Would like some input. . .I currently have an iPhone 6 plus and am generally happy with it (though at times it is slow. ..). My employer will now provide a free or subsidized iPhone for me and also pay the service and I have a few choices:

Iphone 7 plus 32GB - free (but they would own it)
    Iphone 8 plus 64gb - I pay $300 (I would own it)
    Iphone X 64gb - I pay $500 (I would own it)

Coming from a 6 plus 64GB all would seem to be an improvement. I figure I can get $200 or so for my 6 plus (comparing on eBay) which would drop my actual cost even more. . .

So, what would you guys recommend? Considering usage, value, and resale in the future.

Thanks!

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

How much do you like the size of your plus now?

The X would get you back down to a normal sized phone, but may feel small if you like the plus size.

I’d base it pretty much on size rather than the fancy things like faceID etc.

I use outlook on my X for work and find it really good. But I’m only using it out of hours when my PC is off.

3. now i see it macrumors 68030

Try to get to an Apple Store & play with a demo X. See if you prefer it.

4. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Solid advice, go to an Apple store or a carrier store and spend some time with each option. When it comes to choosing a phone that's strictly up to you. You're the one using it, it needs to fit your needs in a phone. I personally like the RED Edition of the 8 series they announced today. That'd be my phone of choice in the 8+ version if I were looking to u/g now.

5. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

How long will you have before your next upgrade? If it’s two years all of the devices would be fine. If it’s three years I’d recommend going with the 8 or X.

Also, the 8 and X would have wireless charging and the capability of faster charging if you get the correct cable/power adapter from Apple. Do you know if your work will be providing this?

The 8 Plus would look and feel similarly to what you’re already used to whereas the X would be completely new.

Also, one last thing I’ll mention. The X uses a Samsung OLED display. Which for some can cause headaches and eye strain. It’s due to how the brightness is handled as it uses PWM (pulse width modulation) which basically flickers off and on at a high rate. There’s a thread on this site discussing this. If you have used a phone with a Samsung OLED screen before and no issues then you’ll likely be fine. Here’s a link to that thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x.2085427/

6. lancebaby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Presume you couldn't ever resell the 7+ if the employer owned it? In which case I think it makes more sense to go with the 8+ or X, as when it comes to upgrade next time, you can sell it to partly fund the new one.

I went from a 6+ to a X (with a brief six month stint of using a 7+) and have no issues with the size. I'd like it a little wider, but the screen and design more than make up for it.