Moving to Europe w/out of contract 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdhamL, Dec 20, 2010.

1. AdhamL macrumors newbie

I'm moving to Europe next summer, right at the point my two year initial contract with AT&T expires on my 3GS. I'd like to be able to continue using the phone and all its capabilities once I'm over there, but am not exactly sure what all I need to do in order for that to work. I imagine it includes getting the phone carrier unlocked in the US before leaving (will AT&T do this once the contract is finished?), then getting a new SIM and data plan for a carrier in the country I'm going to. Could some kind soul let me know what I'd need to do step-by-step to accomplish this, and if there's anything I need to be especially careful about along the way? Thank you -

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, AT&T doesnt carrier unlock any US iphones and neither does Apple.
    You're stuck using it only with an AT&T simcard or jailbreak and software unlock it.
    If I was you I'd sell it here in the US and use the money towards purchasing a factory unlocked iphone from Europe instead. Or you'd be stuck with having to deal with jailbreaks, shsh's, basebands, unlock versions etc....
    Not sure if you're up for it, I know its not for everyone.

3. AdhamL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected, I guess.