moving to London from USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by londonmac, Aug 3, 2010.

1. londonmac macrumors newbie

Moving to London for a year need new computer. need for photos and embriodery machine like 27 imac not eactly portable should i purchase in USA I can get maybe 10% discount or wait to buy in London?:confused:
    Leaving end of month

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

If only for a year and you'll be back in the United States after then I say buy in the States, not the U.K.

3. kangping macrumors member

hi,

in the end it also depends on how you can get your 27" mac back to London or back to the US. I checked on this, because I will be moving to China soon - not that easy and pretty costy.

4. jeremy h macrumors 6502

If you're only in London for a year and might shuffle around a bit why not buy a decent laptop (say 17") in the States and then buy a monitor when you get here (London). You could always sell the monitor rather than cart that back home.

A big Imac in baggage (ugh!) sounds difficult - you might have to pay excess weight etc if you're taking other stuff as well. I sometimes have to shuffle machines around (admittedly not on planes) but with the mice and keyboards etc etc it's a PIA.

5. srcampana macrumors member

I'm not sure about current prices in UK for Macs but it used to be insanely expensive there. I'm in Paris right now and you would pay the exact same price for a MBP here as you would in the States...except here it's 2200 euro and in the US it's $2200. That's $700 savings!!! Plus, if you get the student discount, it's a no-brainer.

And if you like portability, I agree with jeremy h - the 17" MBP sounds great.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Buy iMac in US. Keep box. Bring iMac in box to UK. (Might have to pay customs if you don't bring it back to the US.)

When you are coming back, sell iMac there.