moving to London from USA


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Moving to London for a year need new computer. need for photos and embriodery machine like 27 imac not eactly portable should i purchase in USA I can get maybe 10% discount or wait to buy in London?:confused:
Leaving end of month


macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
If only for a year and you'll be back in the United States after then I say buy in the States, not the U.K.


macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010

in the end it also depends on how you can get your 27" mac back to London or back to the US. I checked on this, because I will be moving to China soon - not that easy and pretty costy.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
If you're only in London for a year and might shuffle around a bit why not buy a decent laptop (say 17") in the States and then buy a monitor when you get here (London). You could always sell the monitor rather than cart that back home.

A big Imac in baggage (ugh!) sounds difficult - you might have to pay excess weight etc if you're taking other stuff as well. I sometimes have to shuffle machines around (admittedly not on planes) but with the mice and keyboards etc etc it's a PIA.


macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure about current prices in UK for Macs but it used to be insanely expensive there. I'm in Paris right now and you would pay the exact same price for a MBP here as you would in the States...except here it's 2200 euro and in the US it's $2200. That's $700 savings!!! Plus, if you get the student discount, it's a no-brainer.

And if you like portability, I agree with jeremy h - the 17" MBP sounds great.


macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Buy iMac in US. Keep box. Bring iMac in box to UK. (Might have to pay customs if you don't bring it back to the US.)

When you are coming back, sell iMac there.

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.