All iPads Moving to new place with no TV - is iPad a better option?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by unregbaron, Apr 30, 2013.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

I could get a 40" LED tv for £279 but is an ipad mini for the same price a better option? At least for the short term. I can imagine using it a lot more. Anyone find they use their TV less or not at all?

2. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Not sure if you're kidding, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because....well...I'm an idiot.

There's the obvious difference of the 40" LED versus a 7.9" screen. It would be a lot harder to watch a game or movie with someone else. If it's just you and you barely watch TV at all I'd go for the iPad.

It's kind of an apple and an orange in my opinion. No pun intended.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you watch a lot of TV at a stretch, the iPad will get quite hot. Still, the iPad can do a lot of things the TV can't do.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't watch much on TV. I only watch movies on Netflix. It depends on what program/show you want to watch. Netflix and Hulu might not have any of your favorite shows? I think you should go with TV. :apple:

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My iPad Mini replaced my TV. Literally, it's just sitting next to my wall unplugged. :D It's more convenient, cheaper, and I just enjoy it a lot more.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

My iPad could never replace my TV. They fulfill completely different functions. My wife and I sometimes watch Netflix on it in bed, but I can't imagine doing that all the time. Nor would movies with friends work very well. Blu-Rays and PS3 aren't even possible. They're not comparable devices. It's kind of like asking which is better - a car or a plane?

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Can't tell if serious.

8. ctucci macrumors regular

I'd get a TV, an ATV, and then a used iPad.

I still use the TV as much or perhaps more than before, but only because of Netflix on ATV, and airplaying from the iPad to the TV.

It's actually the cable box gets much less use now.

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

There's your answer. Who cares what others think? It's completely irrelevant!

10. Danando1993 macrumors regular

Personally my ipad pretty much could entirely be used as my tv and is at times! with apps like sky go, skysports, TvCatchup, 4oD, ITV player, BBC iplayer I think all major channels in the UK are covered.

Obviously the difficult part is when your not the only one watching the screen is far too small.

11. signia.1 macrumors newbie

To be honest I love my iPad but I don't think I could let it my tv go over it.

12. 617aircav Suspended

Apparently the OP cares, even though the only right answer is what the OP wants.

13. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

My roommate hasn't had his TV plugged in all year, he just uses his iPad. Me on the other hand, I like having a TV to watch sports while doing homework and relaxing. I definitely would go with the TV if it were me.

14. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

But can you get everything else it takes to get content on your TV for that price? In the US, you'd have to subscribe to cable or satellite for the thing to be useful. Then, there's the hardware to access Netflix, etc. How about the iPad? Do you have wifi available. The point is, you need to be sure to compare the full cost of each, since your question implies money IS an object.

Regards,
    Tom

15. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

do it. if only to say to people, "I don't own a TV," and to hear them say, "You don't own a TV?! What do you do?!"