Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
1,118
0
Nashville, Tennessee USA
It's true! It really works! I've been using it for awhile. Read all about it and then if you're interested download it here! Don't forget to set your preferences once it is installed: "Web surfers can turn on the pop-up stopper in Mozilla 1.0 by clicking on their edit menu and selecting "preferences." In the advanced menu window, under "Scripts and Plugins," people must uncheck the "open unrequested windows" checkbox. Then click 'OK.'"

edit: Though Mozilla does get rid of pop-up/pop-under ads, it is noticeably slower than IE, but can be used anytime you just want to browse the web without any distractions and don't mind the slowdown.

As far as I know, the slowdown is not really noticeable on Macrumors, so it is fast on some sites. ;)
 

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
455
1
Chicago, IL
Re: Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Originally posted by Shrek
It's true! It really works! I've been using it for awhile. Read all about it and then if you're interested download it here! Don't forget to set your preferences once it is installed: "Web surfers can turn on the pop-up stopper in Mozilla 1.0 by clicking on their edit menu and selecting "preferences." In the advanced menu window, under "Scripts and Plugins," people must uncheck the "open unrequested windows" checkbox. Then click 'OK.'"
Sweet! I've been using Mozilla for a while now and I didn't even know that this feature existed.

Can you stop regular in-page ads too? I keep getting grey boxes that are right in the middle of the page in the forums here. I think that they are from the ads on the page.

Draft
 

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
1,118
0
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: Re: Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Originally posted by Draft
Can you stop regular in-page ads too? I keep getting grey boxes that are right in the middle of the page in the forums here. I think that they are from the ads on the page.
Don't think so. Sorry. :(
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Mozilla 1.1 still seems to be in beta. I'll wait until the final version comes out.

I just had some ?!!ked up morning with Mozilla 1.0 and OS 9. I was searching for a theme and once Mozilla crashed on me and the other time the computer locked up. Plus, whenever I want to hightlight a paragraph/whatever the page continues to scroll all the way to the very top of the page. WT??

Right now, until 1.1 comes out of beta, F!!K Mozilla. I'll admit, it's got the ability to hide some ads, and it has somewhat faster load time that Netscape, but the sh!tstick is crash prone. Until Mozilla gets its damn act together, I'm sticking with Netscape 6.2 and the Fog City theme.

Maybe it's just the OS 9 version, as nothing beats the OS X version of Mozilla with a fast enough computer. That part of browser development can stay alive, for all I care.
 

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
919
0
Yep. I'm a Mozilla convert and I love the pop-up "killer." Almost as much as tabbed browsing. But I'm not jumping on any betas. 1.0 kills pop-ups just the same.

King, tell me what's up with Netscape and the "Fog City" theme? Should I grab a third browser?
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Depends if you like what you see.

But, don't forget, I'm using ?!!king dial-up and the original iMac, and Netscape 6.2 seems to soar with this theme.
 

Attachments

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
1,708
0
Re: Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Originally posted by Shrek
Though Mozilla does get rid of pop-up/pop-under ads, it is noticeably slower than IE, but can be used anytime you just want to browse the web without any distractions and don't mind the slowdown.
It depends. I use Mozilla on OS 9. While it's a little slower in rendering each page, it doesn't slow to a crawl like IE does after extended use; no memory leakages. Also, the use of tabbed windows make the whole browsing experience much more efficient for me.

Overall, considering no pop-up ads, no slowing down to a crawl, and yet tabbed browsing, Mozilla is faster. Also, it's less crash-prone.

I look forward to the day when Chimera goes full release for OS X 10.2
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by King Cobra
Mozilla 1.1 still seems to be in beta. I'll wait until the final version comes out.

I just had some ?!!ked up morning with Mozilla 1.0 and OS 9. I was searching for a theme and once Mozilla crashed on me and the other time the computer locked up. Plus, whenever I want to hightlight a paragraph/whatever the page continues to scroll all the way to the very top of the page. WT??

Right now, until 1.1 comes out of beta, F!!K Mozilla. I'll admit, it's got the ability to hide some ads, and it has somewhat faster load time that Netscape, but the sh!tstick is crash prone. Until Mozilla gets its damn act together, I'm sticking with Netscape 6.2 and the Fog City theme.

Maybe it's just the OS 9 version, as nothing beats the OS X version of Mozilla with a fast enough computer. That part of browser development can stay alive, for all I care.
i really dont think you understand. mozilla is the open source project created by netscape so in essence mozilla will never come out of beta. i have NEVER had mozilla 1.0 crash. if it is crashing for you i suspect either there is something wrong with your system or you did something stupid (like try to install a theme for 1.1 on 1.0 or maybe install a netscape theme).

Mozilla 1.1b is much much faster than 1.0 and more stable than 1.1a, but does occasionally unexpectedly quit (but still less often than ie).

Funniest thing is that you mention you will stick with Netscape 6.2! um... 6.2 is built off a pre-mozilla 1.0 build. .94 i beleive.

So you are using old beta mozilla code instead of using new mozilla build code waiting for mozilla (an open source project) to 'come out of beta.'

If you like netscape (there is something nice about having that netscape icon in your dock) at least use 7b. It uses newer mozilla code and is much faster.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Still stuck debating internet browsers, are you, AL? :rolleyes:

>i really dont think you understand. mozilla is the open source project created by netscape so in essence mozilla will never come out of beta. i have NEVER had mozilla 1.0 crash. if it is crashing for you i suspect either there is something wrong with your system or you did something stupid (like try to install a theme for 1.1 on 1.0 or maybe install a netscape theme).

I tried installing a pinstripe theme for Mozilla, but it didn't show up. If the theme didn't show up ANYWHERE in Mozilla I don't see why it would crash so much. As for my system, I have reset the open firmware and zapped the PRAM recently, so that shouldn't be an issue.

>Mozilla 1.1b is much much faster than 1.0 and more stable than 1.1a, but does occasionally unexpectedly quit (but still less often than ie).

I try to avoid IEek as often as possible, so I wouldn't be able to compare. And I haven't recently tried out any betas, because they are BETAS, plain and simple. I used to try Previews for Netscape 6.1, but I found it to be a tad unstable. I was happy when the final version came out, and there was much less crashing. When 6.2 came out, it got better, even less often crashing. And all this was done on my iMac 233 on OS 9, which I am also using to type this.

>Funniest thing is that you mention you will stick with Netscape 6.2! um... 6.2 is built off a pre-mozilla 1.0 build. .94 i beleive.

>So you are using old beta mozilla code instead of using new mozilla build code waiting for mozilla (an open source project) to 'come out of beta.'

I hate to tell you this, AL, but, in OS 9, this "beta", as you call it, completely destroys Mozilla "non-betas" in OS 9.

>If you like netscape (there is something nice about having that netscape icon in your dock) at least use 7b. It uses newer mozilla code and is much faster.

Damn, read my posts from before. I am not using a dock; I am running OS 9 right now. And I already stated that I don't need to run betas on my computer when there is a possible risk of it f*cking up on me. When a final version (oh, wait, "non-beta") comes out and it f*cks up on me I'll let you know, again. :rolleyes:
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
trying to be a little AlphaTek huh Cobra? How upsetting. I tried to give you good info and you come back and try to attack me with your poor understanding of the Mozilla project. Very rude. Use whatever you like, i really dont care, but when i saw you making decisions based on information that was confused and/or wrong i thought i would try to help. But if you want to be a little brat then i wont help.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
>trying to be a little AlphaTek huh Cobra? How upsetting.

Nah. I'm trying to be a little AlphaTech and joey j.

>I tried to give you good info and you come back and try to attack me with your poor understanding of the Mozilla project.

No, I don't, AL. I come back and explain my personal experiences with Mozilla and Netscape browsers in OS 9.

>Very rude.

Explain how my personal experiences between the browsers have offended you to make you think it's "rude". All I do is state my personal experience and what I have learned from these browsers.

>Use whatever you like, i really dont care, but when i saw you making decisions based on information that was confused and/or wrong i thought i would try to help.

You did try to help. Example: Mozilla 1.1b is faster than 1.1a and 1.0 and does not crash as much as IEek. As a result, I look forward to trying out 1.1 final.

>But if you want to be a little brat then i wont help.

Wow, I didn't realize my thoughts on certain browsers offended you THAT much.
 

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
1,009
0
Re: Re: Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Originally posted by Draft




Can you stop regular in-page ads too? I keep getting grey boxes that are right in the middle of the page in the forums here. I think that they are from the ads on the page.

You can block the most annoying ones. Right click (or command click if you still use your Pro Mouse) an image, and choose properties.

If it comes from adserver.server.com, you can choose to block that server, and still get all the images from http://www.server.com.

This kills 90% of the ads. A few smaller sites host their own ads (MR, /., etc), but you can really clean up some of the 5 ad per page sites.
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
doesnt matter chimera is already owning them all.

.5 is due really soon. they have already upped the version number and gotten the new images in. id say two to three days.

the latest nightlies are adding a whole new level of performance.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by King Cobra

Wow, I didn't realize my thoughts on certain browsers offended you THAT much.
no what offended me is that you are being rude to me and other people, that you are using explicit language by purposefully circumnavigating the language filter. This is not only rude to myself as i tried to correct you only to have you attack me, but also is against the rules of this board. when someone tries to help you, you shouldnt attack them. if AlphaTech is your model, then i will warn you now that if you continue like this you will very likely be banned. this sort of behavior is not constructive and violates the agreement you agreed to when registering on these boards.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by sparkleytone
doesnt matter chimera is already owning them all.

.5 is due really soon. they have already upped the version number and gotten the new images in. id say two to three days.

the latest nightlies are adding a whole new level of performance.
the latest nightlies still will not let me download. same problem i mentioned a few weeks ago. It appears to download (the progress bar goes to completion), but the file is nowhere on my computer. i cant find it and neither can sherlock. strangest thing is, is that no one else has the same problem as far as i can tell.

one other thing. how do i go back several pages. like the lil black arrow in mozilla? i cant seem to find that it chimera. i think the ability is there, i just cant find it.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
I have several models on the forums, Lemon. I don't need to follow them. And I can choose not to if you want me to.

And I try to "attack" people when they are, in fact, posting incorrect information. But, figuring that you would be a mod addressing me personally, I need to limit myself.

But again, AL, I am trying to get my honest thoughts about these browsers and Mozilla just went ape !!!! on me this morning. I am not trying to attack suggestions or facts you point out.

I'll consider the warning though...but you have to consider the idea on getting a better avatar! Unless this is supposed to be in recognition of someone important... :confused:
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by King Cobra
but you have to consider the idea on getting a better avatar! Unless this is supposed to be in recognition of someone important... :confused:
:) old skewl isnt it? ive gotten a few complements but i think most people just dont get it.
 

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
455
1
Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Re: Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Originally posted by Nipsy


You can block the most annoying ones. Right click (or command click if you still use your Pro Mouse) an image, and choose properties.

If it comes from adserver.server.com, you can choose to block that server, and still get all the images from http://www.server.com.

This kills 90% of the ads. A few smaller sites host their own ads (MR, /., etc), but you can really clean up some of the 5 ad per page sites.
I can't seem to block servers. How do you do this?

Thanks,
Draft
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: Mozilla 1.1 Kills Annoying Pop-up Ads!

Originally posted by Shrek
edit: Though Mozilla does get rid of pop-up/pop-under ads, it is noticeably slower than IE, but can be used anytime you just want to browse the web without any distractions and don't mind the slowdown.
[/B]
actually Mozilla is many times faster than IE. in benchmarks IE places last compared to all other OSX web browsers (omniweb is even faster than IE). Mozilla is so fast and reliable that it is used to run some GUIs for linux oses, aol uses it for their web browsing, and the fastest web browser (chimera) also uses mozilla code. and of course netscape versions 6 and 7) use mozilla. Speed is actually Mozilla's biggest feature.

(i have been told, but seen no benchmarks, that mozilla on the pc actually is just as fast as ie on the pc... i would like to see a benchmarks before i believe it though).

not sure why you are claiming that it is slower. mozilla IS a resource hog (big time) so if your system is in poor shape and you do not have enough ram, or have a slow or labored (running folding) cpu then mozilla might be slower, but i woudl assume that ie woudl also be affected by these sorts of problems. The biggest problems with mozilla is that it is a resource hog, it has quite a bit of bloatware, and the preferences/menubar are very poorly organized.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
<bloatware>

I was one of the unfortunate people to use Netscape 6.0.x. That thing took about a minute to load on my original iMac. It was slow, unstable, and was just a big pile of [censored at the request of a moderator]. That was the slowest loading browser I have EVER used. Mozilla has to load like twice as fast. Netscape is getting there, as 7 has looked promising.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
yeah. netscape 6.0 was a big mistake i think. many people were on the edges of their sseat waiting for something new from netscape. netscape 6 gave them all a very bad impression. it was mozilla .74 i think. if netscape can use mozilla 1.0 or 1.1 code i think it would be great. dont know what they are waiting for for netscape 7.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
1,701
0
'Toba, Canada
ive been using mozilla for off and on for well over a year now, its gotten ALOT better since the .8.x series
i thought the "stop unrequested window" (aka stopping pop up windows) feature was on mozilla since late .9.x series, guess i'm wrong, but its a handy feature, just like tabz and theming for moz ;)
it will probably continue to get better in the future...the only probs i have with moz is that whenever i upgrade now days, i always have to reinstall it for some reason (buggy upgrade i guess), upgrades used to be flawless, now its getting to be a pain when its buggy...
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,413
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by SilvorX
ive been using mozilla for off and on for well over a year now, its gotten ALOT better since the .8.x series
i thought the "stop unrequested window" (aka stopping pop up windows) feature was on mozilla since late .9.x series, guess i'm wrong, but its a handy feature, just like tabz and theming for moz ;)
no, you are right. it has been there for awhile. i think some people are just discovering it. also it seems they reorganized some things, so maybe people are just now finding things because of that.

Originally posted by SilvorX
it will probably continue to get better in the future...the only probs i have with moz is that whenever i upgrade now days, i always have to reinstall it for some reason (buggy upgrade i guess), upgrades used to be flawless, now its getting to be a pain when its buggy...
are you using os9? there is no installer for osx. just click and drag.
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,804
2,243
People can obviously do what you want...

but I'd like to offer a webmaster/independant site owner's perspective on web advertising.

A site like this would not exist without internet advertising. Maybe at the beginning of its life, it could... but if 100% of people turned off ads on Macrumors, this site would have to shut down or become paid content. No question there. (this site transfers over 200gigs/month of data)

Now, that being said, there are ranges of ads, and certainly there are sites that popup 12 popups and make life very difficult for you... those tend to be the ones that drive the need for ad-blocking software.

Anyway - just remember, support the sites you like.

arn
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon


the latest nightlies still will not let me download. same problem i mentioned a few weeks ago. It appears to download (the progress bar goes to completion), but the file is nowhere on my computer. i cant find it and neither can sherlock. strangest thing is, is that no one else has the same problem as far as i can tell.

one other thing. how do i go back several pages. like the lil black arrow in mozilla? i cant seem to find that it chimera. i think the ability is there, i just cant find it.
i guarantee 90% that this will fix it so follow me.

Go to your ~/Library/Application Support/Chimera/Profiles/default/jibberish folder and make a duplicate of your bookmarks.xml file somewhere like your desktop or something.

drop to your terminal and in the ~/ directory type "rm -R .mozilla" just in caase that directory is still there.

go to ~/Library/ and see if a Chimera directory exists. if so, delete.

delete your Navigator and reinstall.

run Chimera, set your preferences. then quit completely.

move your backed up bookmarks.xml into the ~/Library/Application Support/Chimera/Profiles/default/jibberish/ directory.

run chimera. if its not fixed it aint a chimera prob i guarantee.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.