MP2010, ATI 5870, PA271W, DisplayPort -- anyone have this config?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nebster, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Nebster macrumors newbie

I'm having a slightly different issue than everyone else who's having video issues in these threads. (Fun, fun!)

I have a single PA271W connected via a mini-DP to DP cable. This monitor works fine if I connected it to my iMac. On the new MP, it won't drive it at boot up.

Apple sent me a replacement 5870 card today that does the exact same thing.

The display does work via DVI.

Does anyone else have this configuration that could verify it will cold boot a single PA271W off displayport? If so, then I know my MP is defective and I'll have them swap it out.

Or, if you have other ideas I should try, by all means...

Thanks,

Ben

p.s. Get this: if I start the computer on DVI, unplug it after it's up, and plug in either displayport port... it fires up the monitor at 378x1440 pixels. That's not a typo -- 378 pixels across! ?!?!

2. BigAl55 macrumors newbie

BigAl55

MP 2010 Hex, 2 5770, 2 NEC PA271W, both wired to DP

Yes, with 2 ATI 5770 and 2 NEC PA271Ws with mini-DP to DP cables. Work great but same problems reported in the other thread: Sometimes don't wake up readily from sleep (very intermittent).

I would advise, call Apple.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

4. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's how I got the replacement 5870, mentioned above.

5. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

Monoprice. And the cable works perfectly with another computer. So we know it's probably okay.

6. benmcgruer macrumors newbie

There's definitely compatibility issues with the Monoprice cable - with numerous reports here of this issue. If you replace it with the Circuit Assembly cable I'd be willing to bet it fixes your problem.

I had the same problem and fixed it by replacing the cable and I've seen reports from at least 2 or three other users with the same result.

Whether there's something wrong with the Monoprice cable is not clear, but it certainly doesn't seem to work with the new Mac Pro video cards.

7. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, that's really interesting/good to hear. I've ordered another cable (the OWC one instead of Circuit Assembly for faster processing) that will arrive Wednesday. I'll follow up here.

Can you point me to the reports from others? I did a lot of searching but never found anyone posting something like this...

Thanks,

Ben

8. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Yes please lament

9. Vylen macrumors 65816

I'm one such other :p That's why I asked where you bought your cable ;)

While I didn't get mine from Monoprice, the place I got mine from were undoubtedly selling the same ones, i.e. they had on them written: E301195 AWM STYLE 20276 80C 30V VW-1 PAK HENG

My problem with them was that whenever the machine was booted from a cold-start, all 3 of my monitors wouldn't receive a signal - only fixed by having the DVI monitor plugged in and then plugging in the DP monitors.

So i bought the cables from CA. It's all fixed - no dead displays on a cold boot.

This is the thread where we came across this revelation.

10. BigAl55 macrumors newbie

BigAl55

Both my MiniDP->DP are NewerTech from OWC. I just ordered two from Circuit Assembly to see if that is the problem with wake from sleep. I'll report back in a few days...

11. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, glad you posted this. I'll cancel the one order and order the other. <rolls eyes and sighs deeply>

12. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, both for noticing this thread and pointing me to yours. I read the first part of that thread, but then dismissed it because it was about other issues.

It's frustrating that there are a bunch of closely-themed issues that may or may not really have anything to do with each other. For example, it may be that the 5870 firmware or hardware has issues that make it more sensitive AND the crummier Monoprice cables just manage to exceed the threshold. Both may be cofactors in the problem we are seeing, and they may independently be part of some of the other problems other people are seeing.

Fun, fun. I plan to give AppleCare a lot more to chew on so they get this fixed. Ideally I'd like a more stable card that just works, since this hardware (monitor and cable) seems fine on plenty of other Apple devices.

13. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

Guys: I got the OWC cable (10feet), and having the exact problem Ben has reported in his first post.

FWIW, I am pretty sure that all of these cables come from the same garage in China.

Miguel

14. Vylen macrumors 65816

Well, read the 2nd page.. that's when we all agreed that Monoprices cables are to blame. In particular, read the last post where Monoprice concedes to a possible active vs. non-active cable issue.

In which case, there seems to be no issue with the card and instead a cable implementation/type concern. However, this is speculative with no definitive response from anyone or hard data.

Well, read off the printed text on the cable - is it the same as what I posted above?

15. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

16. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

to add to this thread I have had issues also with this config (MP2010, ATI 5870, PA271W, MiniDisplayPort->DisplayPort)
    Cable ID: DisplayPort Cable E301195 AWM STYLE 20276 80˚C 30V VW-1 PAK HENG

17. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

No no, I mean I /initially/ read just the first few posts and skipped it. Now that you guys pointed me to it, it addresses the issue. The "headline was buried." :)

18. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

19. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

My OWC cable reads:

DisplayPort Cable E301195 AWM STYLE 20276 80C 30V VW-1 PAK HENG

Same garage!

Miguel

20. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

Can you clarify whether you have:

1) Any issues with boot up (with your PA271W connected to the miniDP)?

2) Any issues with sleep / waking from sleep?

21. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

^^^^

No and no. The system boots fine, and I've tested both display sleep and computer sleep. So far, no problems at all.

22. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

Interesting... So maybe that chinese garage really doesn't know how to make cables.

23. BigAl55 macrumors newbie

BigAl55

Cables!...

I just replaced the OWC/Monoprice DP/MDP cables with Circuit Assembly cables and I don't appear to be having any wake from sleep issues. I've been testing it repeatedly over the last 2 days....

So, it doesn't look like it's the video card(s)...

24. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

25. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Could you post back the cables ID info for us Just for the sake of clarity