mp3Pro

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
I read about this up and coming "new" technology called mp3PRO.

the player is backwards compatible. that means it could play .mp3 files just fine.

there are not much mp3pro players out there. there is a winamp plugin and there is the thomson mp3pro player (beta).

is there a place on the apple website, where one could send in "wish lists"?

mp3pro encodes .wav files better which results in smaller file sizes with almost same (if not better) sound quality as the mp3s of today.

if apple could use this technology in itunes, then our ipods could store not only 1000 songs in the 5 gb version, but 2000 songs in the 5 gb version. and a whopping 4000 songs in the 10 gb version.

anyone working in apple around here?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Just wait for MP4...:D
I have been waiting waiting for a long while.
My patience is starting to become rather thin, which is why I am starting to see through it. :)

When do you guys think that it is possible that we will see mp4 playback integrated into software titles and the Apple iPod anyways? I figure that the start would be with Quicktime 6, but it doesn't hurt to wonder what comes after that...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by King Cobra
...When do you guys think that it is possible that we will see mp4 playback integrated into software titles and the Apple iPod anyways? I figure that the start would be with Quicktime 6, but it doesn't hurt to wonder what comes after that...
All we need is QT6 which will come with Jaguar.

The iPod will just need a software update to be able to handle MP4 audio.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
The Dolby AAC codec used in MPEG4 should give you better quality and smaller files than MP3.
We shall see about that MPEG 1 Layer 3 is fine right now, i still haven't heard anything better come along yet. MP3pro shows promise but needs to get its KBPS up a lot higher then 96.

why don't you digital music hounds check out LAME MP3s.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
We shall see about that MPEG 1 Layer 3 is fine right now, i still haven't heard anything better come along yet. MP3pro shows promise but needs to get its KBPS up a lot higher then 96.

why don't you digital music hounds check out LAME MP3s.
Why don't you check this out:
http://www.aac-audio.com/

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It would be really neat to have this type of compression for the iPod. I can just see Apple's new catch phrase...

NEW Apple iPod 10GB w/mp4 technology:
More quality, more songs, more fun.

I am guessing that Apple will release iTunes 3, which will incorporate mp4 technology into a well designed player and transfer mp4 as well as mp3 to the iPod. It should be an interesting progression of the audio/video field for the following couple of years.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
AAC seems cool but its not here yet and when it comes, i will simply convert the thousands of MP3s to AACs.

less space and hear more

sounds good to me

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yeah, that should be interesting. I wonder if Apple will run into any other licensing problems with iTunes supporting mp4 in terms of encoding and decoding... let's hope not! We could see another long wait. :(

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
ive heard about mp3pro a bit since late 2001, and ive heard that mp3pro was supposed to be a format for something like a pay version of napster or one of the music sharing clients (where you have to pay so much a month), but i may be wrong

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Originally posted by SilvorX
ive heard about mp3pro a bit since late 2001, and ive heard that mp3pro was supposed to be a format for something like a pay version of napster or one of the music sharing clients (where you have to pay so much a month), but i may be wrong
I heard the same about 1 year ago... But now I would prefer Apple to go with Ogg Vorbis since its an Open format.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by kenkooler
I heard the same about 1 year ago... But now I would prefer Apple to go with Ogg Vorbis since its an Open format.
Ogg Vorbis vs. Dolby AAC which is built into MPEG4 which is built on QuickTime

Hmmm...wonder which one is gonna win...:rolleyes:

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Ogg Vorbis vs. Dolby AAC which is built into MPEG4 which is built on QuickTime

Hmmm...wonder which one is gonna win...:rolleyes:
Hehe... maybe in some time PC users and Mac users will have their music in a different format.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.