MP3tunes Launches, Without DRM

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
actually, he's talking about the DRM when he's talking about renting. he's not suggesting that apple is napster, he's just dissatisfied with fairplay

its okay to like apple and all, but fairplay is becoming more and more restrictive- you can only connect to a user library 5 times a day

i like this guy- i want to see DRM-free music take off. :)

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Mudbug said:
I think I hear the RIAA saddling up the horses.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from looking at the site, it appears to be all less than mainstream music, so perhaps those labels are artists are willing to offer music without the DRM. If I was a small band or independent label, I would be happy for any exposure and the ability to make any money.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Mudbug said:
I think I hear the RIAA saddling up the horses.
Right now, the article says they have no major labels signed up for the service, just independent artists. I don't think the RIAA will care about that. If any major label does sign up though, there will most certainly have to be some DRM added.

I just can't wait to see how long it takes for this to flop. How many people will think that $.88 is that much of a better deal than iTunes just to have music without DRM?? And if there is no DRM, what is to stop everyone from sharing the same file once someone has purchased it?? Sounds like an old Napster/Kazaa but instead of someone ripping a CD they bought and putting it online, they just download it and share it. I won't be switching to it and I don't think there is a Mac version anyway.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
rtdgoldfish said:
...I won't be switching to it and I don't think there is a Mac version anyway.
We are talking about a website here, not a PC or Mac-specific application. There is no "switching" involved at all. Maybe you should take a look at the site first before blabbing away like that.

http://www.mp3tunes.com/

montex

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle, WA
Is it just me, or does this web site look just like iTunes? It's obviously a shameless copy. And if all you can do is copy, why not go with the original?

Did I mention that I hate copy-cats?

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
montex said:
Is it just me, or does this web site look just like iTunes? It's obviously a shameless copy. And if all you can do is copy, why not go with the original?

Did I mention that I hate copy-cats?
you might want to start hating the itune music store because it pretty much a copy of mp3.com and a few even older ones. I also might like to point out that apple does some of the most blanted coping out there. Thank you and have a a nice day.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I prefer AAC to MP3, but I'd buy from an MP3 store in a heartbeat, just to support the RIAA-free DRM-free artists.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
It is definitely a good idea. I prefer normal non-DRMd mp3s over FairAACs or WMA files. It just has a bigger compatibility with current and future devices. MP3tunes is compatible today with the best mp3 player, but what is more important, it will be compatible in the future, even if that won't be an ipod. (I'm just not enough of an apple fanboy to say that in 10 years, ipod will still be the best mp3 player). Heck, it's even compatible with non-portable mp3 systems.

Yes, you can burn and rip FairAACs. Who is to say that they won't implement a watermark system in the future? They already retroactively changed their DRM rules once. They might give in to the RIAA and do it again.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Ok, so I only spent a few minutes on the site ... but I have to say I agree with mcmav37 that the artists seem pretty non-mainstream, to say the least. I consider myself fairly well-versed in at least the rock music of today, and I had to look hard to find stuff I knew. (speaking of looking hard, they have to work on how their layout handles text ... every artist and album name in the center of my screen got an ellipses; it looks horrible/illegible). This is college-radio level music at best. There's nothing wrong with that, I think, unless you plan to make money off of it; if so, good luck! Reminds me of my days in the cubicles at a now deceased music dot-com ...

If my first impressions are correct, what makes this different from eMusic (or mp3.com), for example? I guess the pricing model, for starters ... but in terms of what they're selling, I can't see them doing much better than, well, eMusic. And even eMusic has a LOT of bands I know. So a founder of MP3.com starts a new MP3.com, with different pricing?

Just some thoughts based on a brief, not thorough, inspection.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Speaking from experience of having just bought something, it is OK up to the point of buying something, then to be honest, the ease of use wheels fall off compared to iTunes. I really dont want to have to listen to the track I bought as it downloads, then save as in Safari, then move it across into iTunes. But oh well, I suppose that is the advantage of Apple controlling everything. Maybe Apple could buy them up and have them as a subfolder so to speak for direct iTunes integration?!

The music seems interesting though, and you have permanent access to music you bought in case of wipe outs on your hard drive. So, 330,000 tracks, and sort of iTunesy, but it would be the selection of music that generates the traffic, not non DRM for 10 cents less than Apple's more mainstream selection.

Paul O'Keefe

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
Sounds good to me

I doubt I'll use the service (I don't download music), but he's got a point about doing what you want with what you buy. Sharing songs is not illegal (at least not in Canada).

DRM versions of songs don't stop non-DRM versions from being shared everywhere. So if someone buys songs without DRM they've already shown they are willing to legally pay for downloaded songs. Why would they share if they've already made the principled stand to go the legal route. They could have just as easily downloaded pirated songs if they wanted to do that.

Funny though how when we were young we were taught that sharing is good.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Can anyone say, iTunes wanabe. I mean, that completely trying to look like the iTunes music store. And they state they are disabling the search feature because its to much for the servers to take, wow.

Attachments

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
billyboy said:
Speaking from experience of having just bought something, it is OK up to the point of buying something, then to be honest, the ease of use wheels fall off compared to iTunes. I really dont want to have to listen to the track I bought as it downloads, then save as in Safari, then move it across into iTunes. But oh well, I suppose that is the advantage of Apple controlling everything. Maybe Apple could buy them up and have them as a subfolder so to speak for direct iTunes integration?!

The music seems interesting though, and you have permanent access to music you bought in case of wipe outs on your hard drive. So, 330,000 tracks, and sort of iTunesy, but it would be the selection of music that generates the traffic, not non DRM for 10 cents less than Apple's more mainstream selection.
What they need is a downloader helper application. All of the other music services (Think emusic.com or allofmp3.com) have helper apps, but not always for the Mac. These programs usually facilitate the process of downloading the files and importing them to iTunes, making it almost painless Actually, this site reminds me a lot of
emusic.com, which also sells independent artists at a discounted price. Just like this site, the files are Mp3s with no DRM.

I hope all of these sites will collectively put pressure on Apple and the record labels to ease their DRM restrictions. And it also would be nice if Apple would let us re-download music we already bought. The ITMS is not perfect, and some competitive pressure would be good for everyone.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Timelessblur said:
you might want to start hating the itune music store because it pretty much a copy of mp3.com and a few even older ones. I also might like to point out that apple does some of the most blanted coping out there. Thank you and have a a nice day.
iTMS doesn't look anything like mp3.com

Go check out mp3tunes.com, and tell me it doesn't look 99% like iTMS. Even the "New Albums", "Top Artists" and "New Artists". With buttons, scrolling, etc. This thing doesn't "look like iTMS", it copies parts of it directly.

Can't wait to see Apple go down on these guys for ripping of parts of their (probably patented) interfaces.

And as mcmav37 said, it's more like an independant artists store. Which is pretty pointless since there's already others like IUMA.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
nagromme said:
I prefer AAC to MP3, but I'd buy from an MP3 store in a heartbeat, just to support the RIAA-free DRM-free artists.
The website says "MP3 192kbps". So it should sound at least as good as AAC 128kbps.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Paul O'Keefe said:
I doubt I'll use the service (I don't download music), but he's got a point about doing what you want with what you buy. Sharing songs is not illegal (at least not in Canada).

DRM versions of songs don't stop non-DRM versions from being shared everywhere. So if someone buys songs without DRM they've already shown they are willing to legally pay for downloaded songs. Why would they share if they've already made the principled stand to go the legal route. They could have just as easily downloaded pirated songs if they wanted to do that.

Funny though how when we were young we were taught that sharing is good.
Can anyone say, boot legging. DRMs only let you burn the CD so many times. Where as with this service, you can boot leg as many CDs as you want. Plus, when someone comes over and says hey, I want that song so send it to me. Well I can't because that will use up one of my client licenses, only 5 with iTunes. But with non DRM, yeah, everyone that comes over can take it home with them. What does this mean, the artist just lost about 5 to 10 people. Multiply that a person sold 10,000 songs, low end it with 5 given away, lost sales for 50,000 songs, about 10% ($0.10) goes to the artist, lost income for artist = $5,000 at the low end. Now, do you think major music people are willing to loose money, which would probably be a whole lot more songs being sold. I think not.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
nsb3000 said:
What they need is a downloader helper application. All of the other music services (Think emusic.com or allofmp3.com) have helper apps, but not always for the Mac. These programs usually facilitate the process of downloading the files and importing them to iTunes, making it almost painless
Helper apps are good but only up to a point. They must not be required. If it can all work with only a website and downloaded files, you don't even have to worry about computer OS (as long as it can browse a website and download files) and playback device compatibility (as long as said device can play MP3 files).

This means mp3tunes.com and their files are compatible with Windows 3.11 to Windows XP, Mac OS classic and Mac OS X, Linux, BSD, OS/2, Amiga, Atari ST, MP3-capable Palms, PocketPCs, 5-years old MP3 players, etc, etc.

I see a huge downside in all these independant websites. They're basically trying to "stick it to the RIAA" (in a sense) and need to fight giants such as iTMS, Napster, Wal-Mart, etc.

What they should do, IMO, is make a new organisation (and website) that includes all the independent artists/websites/groups. Right now, being split up in many small groups, amongst incredibly huge commercial entities, isn't a good idea.

Imagine IUMA, eMusic, MP3Tunes, and all the others I don't even know about (because there's too many, which is my point), reunited into one huge group for independent artists.

Jamvan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Not quite the same...

varmit said:
Can anyone say, iTunes wanabe. I mean, that completely trying to look like the iTunes music store. And they state they are disabling the search feature because its to much for the servers to take, wow.
They're not copying iTunes. They have "Top Albums" listed first in the right hand side and "Top Songs" listed below it. iTunes lists those completely differently! :rolleyes:

[edit: language]

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think this could be a good thing, even if they don't sell any music from the big labels. It does put some more pressure on the labels that demand this restrictive DRM. If a lot of people started buying from these guys then the labels would have to follow.

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
gekko513 said:
I think this could be a good thing, even if they don't sell any music from the big labels. It does put some more pressure on the labels that demand this restrictive DRM. If a lot of people started buying from these guys then the labels would have to follow.
This point has been brought up many times in this thread already. It's a good point, but you guys have to remember that this store's offerings are nothing close to mainstream. This is a whole different universe of music (I'm not saying it's better or worse than it's commercial, mainstream counterpart), not only from a popularity standpoint, but especially because these artists have contracts with very small labels. Sure, there are largely unknown artists in iTunes, but they *are* being backed up by wealthier record companies. Just look at the power Indie labels have in Europe... Their music was posted in the pan-european iTMS with a huge delay thanks to contract-related divergencies...

Wanna bet that more than 90% of the artists that are selling tracks on MP3tunes.com are not going to sell those tracks on iTMS or Napster simultaneously?? Hmmm... Yes, this means that the services from those two universes are mutually exclusive as far as tracks are concerned! Unless the most "underground" services gain a huge popularity, you won't see them put *any* pressure on the bigger, RIAA-controlled services. Someone suggested that these small services should team up... I think that's a great idea, I mean, it's their only chance.

And, IMHO, MP3tunes.com is a sweet deal. Not only you aren't restricted by a DRM, you can also re-download tracks if you lose them. It couldn't be better, I always thought that iTunes should support that feature (a special database that would allow people to "rescue" their stuff). And by the way, even though iTunes represents a revolutionary way of buying music, I still think that applying DRM schemes, ESPECIALLY IN PHYSICAL MEDIA (I thought I should mention that, by the way), equals treating people like criminals, and I hate that, it's just plain outrageous. And you know, there's a nice store here in Lisbon that sells a huge selection of 2nd hand CDs (that's right, with original artwork, 1411Kbps AIFF, NO DRM!) for €10 (and sometimes they offer special deals, like €7,5 or even €5 a piece). It's just not worth saving €0,01 when buying in iTunes... So, no iTMS purchases for me (at least until I get a credit card of my own, and even then I'll probably just buy singles...).