mp4 import to final cut only shows top left corner of video (Hauppauge)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BigRookGames, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BigRookGames, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

BigRookGames macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having problems with importing an mp4 video into final cut, it displays only about 60% of the top left portion of the screen. I use hauppauge HD PVR to record xbox 360 video on my pc laptop, and when I try to open this file with final cut (imovie too) it has this problem. I tried opening the file with sony vegas 11 on my pc and it has the same problem, but on windows movie maker it imports fine. I checked a bunch of forums and the solution to the sony vegas problem was to record using .m2ts format, but final cut does not support that type. The output types from the pvr are m2ts, ts(AVCHD format), and mp4(tried them all with final cut with no luck). I read that Hauppauge works using eyetv application but I would much rather record with my pc laptop (it can easily be moved to the pvr setup equipment). Im a little surprised to see final cut having issues importing considering quicktime is their deal. has anyone experienced this before or know anything that might be able to help me out? not sure if this helps but the video standard setting for the pvr is NTSC_M. Any help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jake

EDIT
    another thing to mention is that when I try to play the .mp4 videos in quicktime it is just green, purple, and yellow static but I can hear the audio perfectly.

2. BigRookGames thread starter macrumors newbie

After an entire night of troubleshooting I finally found a solution. There is a converter that comes with the HD PVR called MediaConverter 4 and if i take the mp4 file and convert to apple tv mp4 file it works. not quite sure because its mp4 to mp4. Is there different types of encoding for mp4? i thought the format kind of described the encoding but I'm not an expert on video formats. Does anyone know why i have to convert mp4 to mp4? I would like to clear up some of my confusion.
    Thanks again,
    Jake