Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
A guy in Korea sells a version for recent Air/rMBP but those have a different connector.
The PCB's look pretty simple. Does it just pass signal or are there components?

What about building your own? Components (if needed ) and OSH Park?

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
The PCB's look pretty simple. Does it just pass signal or are there components?

What about building your own? Components (if needed ) and OSH Park?

That board has some passive components to do the decoupling and to switch to the "external" SPI. I can make a prototype with perfboard, no problem. I just need that Molex connector…

Reactions: handheldgames

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm thinking the same as you at the moment @kings79. Kudos...

I've made a lot of circuit boards back in the day when copper-clad boards, etching solution, and trace paint were common place at Radio Shack (do they even still exist).

I'm pretty sure I could cobble something together unless some special circuitry other than switch's are needed (I can't imagine why off hand, other than electrical noise). Either way, I was thinking of suggesting something earlier today, but I saw @tsialex post about contacting @handheldgames about just that. I think both of them are WAY more qualified than me and my limited imagination.

Pretty sure it's about to happen soon however. Neither of those gentleman are the kind to sit around and do nothing. That's why I'm fond of them both. Pioneering spirits, with staggering talents.

Last edited:

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
I'm Pretty sure it's about to happen soon however. Neither of those gentleman are the kind to sit around and do nothing. That's why I fond of them both. Pioneering spirits, with staggering talents.

Roger that.

I'm in Australia and if I can help out buying anything TsiAlex needs here and post to Brazil let me know. Happy to help. :cool:
[doublepost=1536184070][/doublepost]
That board has some passive components to do the decoupling and to switch to the "external" SPI. I can make a prototype with perfboard, no problem. I just need that Molex connector…

So some Caps and some sort of switch IC?

Where can you get those molex? Asia is just across the drink from me...:D

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Curious... I don't think of a different SMC version as automatically being an 'issue'?
It’s a issue if you need to replace trays/logic boards.
[doublepost=1536187987][/doublepost]
Where can you get those molex?
We need to know the correct part number for that connector, we're trying to find it.
I'm in Australia and if I can help out buying anything TsiAlex needs here and post to Brazil let me know. Happy to help. :cool:

Maybe that SOIC/SOP8 socket. I'll try to find it elsewhere, if not I'll ask your help, thx!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Curious... I don't think of a different SMC version as automatically being an 'issue'?

So far, seems only the SMC 1.39f5 may cause the PCIe and PSU fan run at abnormal high idle (about 100% faster than normal) when any 3rd party GPU is installed. So, it can automatically being an issue.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Found a Brazilian seller selling a pack of 15 MX25L3206E for ~US$16.50, including shipping. Bought it, will arrive at the end of next week.

A lot more costlier than from AliExpress sellers, but I need this fast. I only have two Winbond 32Mb spiflash here, both removed from defective PC boards. I don't know if efiflasher can program them, I'll have to check this, but no reports of the Winbond one with Mac Pros.

Reactions: Matty_TypeR

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
found this, will order it for my programmer as I get lacy soldering the chips on it:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SO8-SOP8-to...841372?hash=item25d648219c:g:tcMAAOSw~FJZENpP

Works 5 times, stops working, then you junk it and buy a new one. Rinse, repeat.

I have two of the low cost Chinese ZIF adaptors and an original Hamachi one. When I bought the Hamachi, maybe 12 years ago, was around $200… My TSOP one was about $300…

The Chinese totally killed manufacturers of programmers and adapters, almost no one survived after China went for this market. Now we pay almost nothing, but we have what we pay.

The first SOIC-8 clip that I bought was so fake that MODEL-520 was inscribed as MODLE-520. Never got a reliable read until my brother bought me a real POMONA from Digikey. I call that fake clip PAMONHA, Brazilian people will get that. ;)

Last edited:

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I don't know anything about zif adapters but cheap Chinese ham radio's I do, I have a full ham radio license and have purchased these cheap Chinese radio's, stand in the middle of a field and they seem ok, take them into a city or at home and stand them next to a computer and all you will hear is electromagnetic interference. stand a good quality radio next to it and no interference. they might be cheap but have a receiver as wide as a barn door, no band pass filtering at all. and no shielding, I guess the saying comes to mind that you get what you pay for. if Zif adapters follows anything like the radio's I wouldn't expect them to last or even do what you want.

Reactions: tsialex

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Maybe this needs a new specific thread eg : "How to Dump - repair corrupted bootrom ".
lately we've seen a lot of new posters wh ohave no idea about eg : new AMD GPU power cabling requirements.

This thread is ( from post #1) a " hack your bootrom to boot from NVMe "tutorial but dumping bootroms from motherboard chips will most probably be way beyond their abilitities or comprehension.

In any case nice to see this thread so active lately.
I would really like to know how many of us are now booting from M.2 NVME.

( I am ! :p )

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Maybe this needs a new specific thread eg : "How to Dump - repair corrupted bootrom ".
lately we've seen a lot of new posters wh ohave no idea about eg : new AMD GPU power cabling requirements.

This thread is ( from post #1) a " hack your bootrom to boot from NVMe "tutorial but dumping bootroms from motherboard chips will most probably be way beyond their abilitities or comprehension.

Yep, I'll start a new one about this weekend. It's better to keep all pertinent about a subject in just only one thread and not spread around.

Only AHCI PCIe here, I bought a el cheapo NVMe one just for tests, will arrive some time later this month.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Yep, I'll start a new one about this weekend. It's better to
Only AHCI PCIe here,
tsialex . .

That is just so ironic .. you are so busy 'fixing' our bootroms for NVMe booting but you are still on AHCI :p

I thank you or our behalf.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
tsialex . .

That is just so ironic .. you are so busy 'fixing' our bootroms for NVMe booting but you are still on AHCI :p

I thank you or our behalf.

I bought my SM-951 AHCI in February, so I already had two PCIe 512GB SSDs for my two MP4,1>5,1 when you all started tinkering with NVMe inject a month or two later. I bought a 120GB NVMe drive just for testing, later I'll install it on my 2008.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yep, I'll start a new one about this weekend. It's better to keep all pertinent about a subject in just only one thread and not spread around.

Only AHCI PCIe here, I bought a el cheapo NVMe one just for tests, will arrive some time later this month.

Thanks in advance, of course, I will put that link inside the sticky thread (about 4,1 / 5,1 upgrade) as well

Catzjes

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Utrecht, The Netherlands

I boot from NVME Samsung 970 EVO with bootrom from @tsialex (thanks again and good luck unbricking your cMP).

Reactions: tsialex

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
So far, seems only the SMC 1.39f5 may cause the PCIe and PSU fan run at abnormal high idle (about 100% faster than normal) when any 3rd party GPU is installed.
What happens with a flashed reference eVGA GTX 680 2GB? Same issue with fans on a 2009 5,1?

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
What happens with a flashed reference eVGA GTX 680 2GB? Same issue with fans on a 2009 5,1?

I have a 4.1 flashed to a 5.1 with GTX680 and don't have any fan issues at all, runs nice and quiet, and I tried it with Mac gtx680 and non flashed GTX680 and still fans run quiet.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

This issue is very random so far.

Two identical setup, one user may constantly hit this high fan speed bug. The other one may be completely unaffected.

From my experience, flash of not won't affect the result. I met this bug before when I was using the genuine Sapphire HD7950 Mac Edition card. From memory, I can hit this bug even with the stock HD4870 as well.

That's why I end up study the SMC key, and make my own version of fan control software to let the fans do exactly what I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.